anyweb

Step 7. Update SMS WinPE from the BDD/ZTi deployment point

Question

Step 7

This guide assumes that you have first created an OSD capture CD and then Captured a Vista image (wim). Next you should have imported that captured Vista image into BDD, and then updated BDD with your Windows PE and XP OS files. You should then have created a new build in BDD for the captured WIM image. Lastly, you should have created and updated the BDD Deployment point (OSD/ZTI).

Update Windows PE to support WMI.

The version of Windows PE that ships with the OSD Feature Pack does not have WMI enabled. To support Zero Touch Installation, we need to update the Windows PE image with one that has WMI enabled. When we created the ZTI deployment point, BDD created an updated Windows PE source folder.

Startup the SMS Administrator Console, and in the tree pane, expand Site Database, select Image Packages on the left and right-click it, point to All Tasks and select Update Windows PE.

An update Windows PE wizard will start, click Next. When prompted for the source folder enter the path to your ZTI\boot\source directory that was created when we created the ZTI share. I entered my path which is C:\ZTI\Boot\Source, click next to continue and click Finish when complete.

note: the screenshot below show's a different path for ZTI, that is because I completely reinstalled the Zero Touch components on my server to test all the 18 steps for any possible errors, the path c:\zti or d:\zti doesnt matter, as long as you tell the wizard where they really are.

updating_windows_pe.JPG

After a while, when the copying is done you should see this

success.JPG

If you found this guide useful then please Digg it.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet