DizzleSizzle

Disable Flash Player 10.3 Auto-Updates

Question

does anyone know how to disable automatic updates with Flash Player 10.3. This version installs a new control panel applet and on the advanced tab for users it is selected to check for updates automatically. In other versions i was able to edit the Flash install MSI with orca and switch the checkbox and propery fields to autoupdating from 1 to 0 and worked like a charm. this seems not to work on this version. I tried putting the mms.cfg file in proper folder but its still selected for autoupdating for users. This causes a problem because non of our users have admin rights to install software, leaving this annoying popup box on the screen everytime an update is needed.

5 answers to this question

To Disable auto-update notification:

1. Create or open the mms.cfg file in a text editor.
  2. Add the following auto-update setting:

AutoUpdateDisable=1
  3. Save the mms.cfg file with UTF-8 encoding in the correct system location for the user's operating system.
  4. Close and restart Flash Player or the browser in which Flash Player is running for the new setting to take effect.

For more info http://kb2.adobe.com...7/16701594.html

i tried the mms file but the control panel plugin still selected to check for updates...i previous version i could stop this with editing the msi with orca and worked great. where is the exact location for the mms file placement, adobe says syswow64 for Windows 7 x64 but other forums are saying syswow64 macromedia or just system32. Also if i were to set a package to copy the mms file to the correct location (if this file does work) prier to deploying flash then deploy flash will it take the setting?

well i did some testing with wireshark after reading another post on appdeploy and the mms.cfg does overwrite the using defined settings. last question, i was reading the adobe admin site and it says to place the file in the following location:

Windows NT, 2000-- C:\WINNT\System32\Macromed\Flash

Windows XP, Vista --C:\WINDOWS\System32\Macromed\Flash

Windows 95, 98, or ME--C:\Windows\System\Macromed\Flash

Windows 64-bit -- C:\Windows\SysWOW64

Macintosh--\Application Support\Macromedia

Now on Windows 7 x64, should the file be in the root of SysWOW64 as stated by adobe or should it be in the SysWOW64\Macromed\flash?