BzowK

Software Update Will Not Install During OSD TS

Question

Good Afternoon All -

I have my primary SCCM server set up to deploy Software Updates for Microsoft products to all of my workstations and most servers. Recently, it has been performing pretty well as I daily check the numbers of Required vs. Installed. I currently have them divided into a few categories and advertised as listed below

- Updates for Win7 advertised to All Workstations

- Updates for XP advertised to All Workstations

- Updates for Office advertised to All Workstations

- Updates for Servers advertised to All Server Systems

The (seeming) only problem that I'm having with these updates currently is when performing a Task Sequence for Operating System Deployment. I will create a new Task Sequence, apply all of the settings needed including Install All Updates, then run it. The OSD TS runs perfectly except for the updates. Once it's complete, I'll open Windows Update, check for updates, then see about 20-25 needed.

Note: In the four updates advertisements above, all of the updates to todays date are currently being advertised so it's not just new ones.

I've searched the log files, but haven't found an error directly pertaining to it yet. I searched for the package name of my Win7 updates, but couldn't find a reference to it. In the UpdateDeployments log, though, I did find a few instances of "Error getting logged on user token" if that makes a difference.

An Example of a Specific Update

On the OSD that I just finished before typing this, I ran Windows Update. I checked online for updates and 28 were missing. I saw that update KB2425227 was needing to be installed and chose it to check against logs.

I looked in UpdatesStore(date).log and found that it said this about that specific update:

Queried Update (dd971ba6-1fb9-4a75-9016-27209af98260): Status=Missing, Title=Security Update for Windows 7 (KB2425227), BulletinID=MS11-013, QNumbers=2425227, LocaleID=.

I also looked in my SCCM console and saw that it had been download and was in my Windows 7 Updates package which is currently being deployed. Too bad the "missing" part of the statement above wasn't more detailed.

Questions:

1. What would possibly be causing this?

2. Even though advertised to All Workstations, do the updates need to have a separate advertisement to the Collection in which I'm advertising the OSD TS?

3. Which log file should the error for this be in? smsts.log? UpdateDeployments.log?

My logs are attached. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated - Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Hello Bzowk,

I'm having the same problem, and then only thing im finding the in the logs is teh same warning/error of "Error getting logged on user token"...

Couple of questions for you:

1 Are you getting a nice big FAIL message during the TS that counts down for a reboot? I'm asking that because I've unchecked the "continue on error" box under the Install updates offline-->options. This allows you to see it fail on that step, rather then just skip over it to the next part.

2 I'm assuming you're doing a TS for a Windows 7 deployment. Once that system is up and running, open up windows updates --> click on View update history. Does that show a bunch of failed updates?

Sorry I dont really have any answers for you as of yet. I just want to see if you're getting the same errors that I'm getting.

If I get anywhere with this I'll let you know

Hi,

I am getting exactly the the same error as HGITS, where checking the update history shows all updates as failed.

It only started happening about a few weeks ago. When i noticed that when the updates tried to deploy there was no progress bar ie. 1/ of x 2/ x.

All i got was the Installing updates screen sitting there for about 30 minutes.

In the same OSD TS, I have 10 pieces of software that deploy fine.

I am pulling my hair out on this...

Has anyone have a fix for this?