Rob MacLennan

Symantec Endpoint

Question

Hi

I'm installing SEP using SCCM 2007 R3 with the command line: setup /s /v"/l*v log.txt /qn RUNLIVEUPDATE=0 REBOOT=REALLYSUPPRESS"

The problem I'm having is the package is installing as expected however SCCM is reporting the install as failed:

"The program for advertisement "NCT20025" failed ("NCT00056" - "Symantec Endpoint"). A failure exit code of 1 was returned. User context: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Possible cause: Systems Management Server (SMS) determines status for each program it executes. If SMS cannot find or correlate any installation status Management Information Format (MIF) files for the program, it uses the program's exit code to determine status. An exit code of 1 is considered a failure. Solution: For more information on the exit code, refer to the documentation for the program you are distributing."

Can anyone advise if there is anything I can do in order to have this install report with an exit code 0 in order that SCCM reports it as correctly installed?

Rob

3 answers to this question

What version? 11? 12 beta? We're deploying 11 both 32 and 64 bit. Are you using an .exe, or have you renamed the .msi file to "setup"? Here's my command line string for the deployment program:

msiexec /i Symantec_AntiVirus.msi /passive /qn REBOOT=SUPPRESS

Works like a charm.

I might be a bit late on replying here, but I had this problem as well. It only really presented itself during OS Deployment though since there shouldn't be any machines out there without SEP installed.

Anyway, I got the error when using an Install Software TS but I couldn't do anything about the exit code. I reckon it's a Symantec thing, but even if it were our install I wouldn't be able to get the guys handling AV to deal with it. I opted to go for a run command line TS, where I could specify a success code of 1. The install then completed and reported back as successful.

Incidentally, robocopy is another program that completes with success codes other than 0. When running robocopy I need to get the exit code, verify it's what I expect, then set it as the success code.

Hope this helps :)