RhoSysAdmin

SCCM, PXE, WDS, oh my!

Question

I've been trying to work through the guides on this site and on TechNet to work through setting up OSD in my network. I have SCCM 2007 R3, on a single 2008 server for my network. We have one site, and only about 400 computers. I'm working through Deploying XP first (http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/569-how-can-i-deploy-windows-xp-sp3-using-sccm-2007-sp1-part-1/), b/c it seemed easier than starting with Windows 7.

The guide is great, but I feel like I'm missing some configuration steps. It seems I found out in the middle that I needed WDS to support the PXE service point, which is fine. But now it seems I'm missing more details. I now find out that I need to add DHCP options to get my PXE clients to actually boot. I feel like I've started a novel in the middle. Can someone point me to the guides I should be starting with, as far as OSD goes?

Thanks!!

KH

3 answers to this question

It's all in that guide.. In the beginning it says: "This guide assumes you have installed SCCM 2007 SP1 and then configured it as outlined here in Part 1 you must then do the additional configuration outlined in Part 2, and you must have completed the final configuration tasks in Part 3. Lastly you must be able to deploy an application using SCCM 2007" >> There are links to everything you need.

well sort of, I will need to update the Deploy XP guide recap to also mention that you should probably start with Deploying Windows Vista first (that was the first OS guide I wrote),

the only difference between it and the other deploy OS guides is it covers setting up the pxe service point/wds and boot images, so part 1 and possibly part 2 of Deploy Windows Vista should be worth looking at

cheers

niall

Well, I have PXE boot working now. Of course I have another issue, which I'm posting in a separate thread. The answer for me came in removing and reinstalling WDS and PXE (ref : http://blogs.technet.com/b/configurationmgr/archive/2011/01/05/troubleshooting-the-pxe-service-point-and-wds-in-configuration-manager-2007.aspx).

Thanks.

KH

well sort of, I will need to update the Deploy XP guide recap to also mention that you should probably start with Deploying Windows Vista first (that was the first OS guide I wrote),

the only difference between it and the other deploy OS guides is it covers setting up the pxe service point/wds and boot images, so part 1 and possibly part 2 of Deploy Windows Vista should be worth looking at

cheers

niall