Vancouverite

Task Sequences and Maintenance Windows

Question

I've been successfully deploying software to clients using both packages and task sequences for a while, but I've only just started using Maintenance Windows to try to restrict when these deployments can run. The intention is to use them in conjunction with WOL.

With packages these windows work perfectly, but I've recently discovered some odd behaviour with task sequences.

I know that the total time available within the service window has to exceed the maximum possible run time for a package (plus five minutes) and that's exactly what I've found. But when I try to run a TS in a service window they tend to fail with an error of "Program may never run due to Service Window Constraints" unless the maintenance window is at least six hours long. I've found that the actual contents of the TS doesn't seem to make a difference. Even running a couple of packages within one with maximum durations of five or ten minutes each, still gives the same error if the window itself is less than six hours. But set the window for six hours or more and there is no problem and the task sequence successfully runs when the mandatory advertisement starts.

I don't want to set the advertisements to ignore the maintenance windows (that would defy the whole point of using them) and if need be I can use longer windows, but it just seems bizzare that there is this restriction.

Does anyone know what is causing this or if there is a workaround? I haven't been able to find any documentation relating to this particular issue!

3 answers to this question

If anyone else ever has this same problem, I found the solution.

If you right-click the task sequence in question and select "Properties" and then select the "Advanced" tab, there is a setting for "Maximum Allowed Runtime (minutes)" which, by default, is set at 360. Reducing that allows a task sequence to run in a shorter service window.

AAAUUHHHH!!! That seems to have been it for me (well, the TS at least started now). I dont know it this info was specific to SCCM 2007 or 2012 but on my 2012 enviroment the TS for the OSD my Maximum Allowed Runtime was set to 0 (...thus infinite runtime) so even my Maintenance Window of 10+ hours failed.

Not sure if 0 is default or not (someone else created this paticular TS), but thought I would say it might be different for 2007/2012.