ersatyle

unattended.xml during OSD not working entirely

Question

hi, has anyone tried with success to implement the "StartPanelLinks" line under the "Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" in their unattended.xml (processing through the TS in the Apply Operating System)

the "taskbarLinks" is working ok, but nothing appears in the start panel

Also I tried to specify the background, with no luck

I repeat those parameters in the Specialize part and OobeSystem, as I'm not sure wich one should work

here an extract of my answer file, in the specialize part (french version of windows 7 x64)

<component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="amd64" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
           <WindowsFeatures>
               <ShowMediaCenter>false</ShowMediaCenter>
               <ShowWindowsMediaPlayer>false</ShowWindowsMediaPlayer>
               <ShowInternetExplorer>true</ShowInternetExplorer>
           </WindowsFeatures>
           <ShowWindowsLive>false</ShowWindowsLive>
           <CopyProfile>false</CopyProfile>
           <DoNotCleanTaskBar>true</DoNotCleanTaskBar>
           <OEMInformation>
           </OEMInformation>
           <ComputerName>*</ComputerName>
           <TaskbarLinks>
               <Link0>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Outlook 2010.lnk</Link0>
               <Link1>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Word 2010.lnk</Link1>
               <Link2>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Excel 2010.lnk</Link2>
           </TaskbarLinks>
           <StartPanelLinks>
               <Link4>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Création de DVD Windows.lnk</Link4>
               <Link3>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Accessories\Calculatrice.lnk</Link3>
               <Link2>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Word 2010.lnk</Link2>
               <Link1>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Excel 2010.lnk</Link1>
               <Link0>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office\Microsoft Outlook 2010.lnk</Link0>
           </StartPanelLinks>
           <Themes>
               <DesktopBackground>c:\Windows\Web\Wallpaper\Nature\img1.jpg</DesktopBackground>
           </Themes>
       </component>

I don't use the %appdata% variable as apparently it doesn't work in the winPe environnment.

If someone could point me out some solutions or have any ideas, it would be very appreciated

thanks!

3 answers to this question

everyone is happy with the default start menu? can't believe this^^

or do you all use the copy profile method? In my case I captured a blank install (as described in the guide here) so I don't think I can use this method, and I managed to create all the software packages and task sequence that I wanted, and don't want to revert to another approach.

more generally is there a list of some kind of all the elements in the unattended.xml that don't work during a sccm deployment?

thanks!

last up, I'm a little sad that anybod doensn't even have a suggestion about this issue=(

I've read that i can be doable by script, but the option is in the .xml files, so why doesn't it work?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/04/08/pin-items-to-the-start-menu-or-windows-7-taskbar-via-script.aspx

(french script here: http://danstoncloud.com/blogs/yannick/archive/2011/01/11/personnaliser-la-barre-des-t-226-ches-et-le-menu-d-233-marrer-par-script-et-unattend-xml.aspx)

thanks

For whatever it's worth, I've never gotten all of the .XML settings to work in an SCCM-based deployment. Not a huge loss for us as we just kick off a VBScript at the tail end of the OS task sequence to customize what we need. So I'd suggest focusing your efforts on writing a script to do what you want...