tarzan

Deploy Xp Image after sysprep

Question

Hi

I have a special Image of XP that i made with ImageX. this image works on about 15 laptop model. It is a ghost image actually but i made a WIM file with imagex before it starts into windows. i wonder if i can deploy it with SCCM in a way or another.

greatest regards.

9 answers to this question

Hi

I have a special Image of XP that i made with ImageX. this image works on about 15 laptop model. It is a ghost image actually but i made a WIM file with imagex before it starts into windows. i wonder if i can deploy it with SCCM in a way or another.

greatest regards.

SCCM is simply a method of deployment, if it will deploy with Ghost then it should deploy with SCCM. If you are using AHCI for the drives you may need to make some changes to the Task Sequence to make it work properly. Why not load it in SCCM and give it a shot, the worst that may happen is a blue-screen if the hard drive drivers are not loading properly. Currently I am using a single Windows XP image for about 15 different machines and they are all working fine. I use Dell and Lenovo machines and with Dell they have nice driver Cab files which loads in all of the different drivers and for the Lenovo machines I use the Thin Installer to install the drivers. This means I use a really thin image with just base apps and no drivers or machine specific software.

SCCM is simply a method of deployment, if it will deploy with Ghost then it should deploy with SCCM. If you are using AHCI for the drives you may need to make some changes to the Task Sequence to make it work properly. Why not load it in SCCM and give it a shot, the worst that may happen is a blue-screen if the hard drive drivers are not loading properly. Currently I am using a single Windows XP image for about 15 different machines and they are all working fine. I use Dell and Lenovo machines and with Dell they have nice driver Cab files which loads in all of the different drivers and for the Lenovo machines I use the Thin Installer to install the drivers. This means I use a really thin image with just base apps and no drivers or machine specific software.

first of all thanx for your reply. i got surprised actually to get an answer as i gave up. i completely agree with you but this image is specially made with many old programs and above that it contains Novell Client. am working on a new image but what i want for the current time is deploy this WIM file with sccm. i tried loading it but the boot image loads then the computer restarts by it self and the process continues forever.

If you want more help with this, you'll need to give us a little more info as to where it's erroring out, what error messages are reported, and what you're deploying it to. Otherwise try booting up and press the F8 key. If you've got Command Support enabled in your boot image you can view any log files that may be on the machine...

If you want more help with this, you'll need to give us a little more info as to where it's erroring out, what error messages are reported, and what you're deploying it to. Otherwise try booting up and press the F8 key. If you've got Command Support enabled in your boot image you can view any log files that may be on the machine...

Hi

the boot image starts to load then the sccm process starts then everything stops for a while 10 to 20 sec and the computer restarts.

am deploying windows xp image that i made with imagex. it is a fully functional os the is syspreped to work on many machines. am deploying it into a test machine trying to figure out how to configure the deployment proccess as this is a test server that am working on. i can get into windows as the machine has os on it and see the log file " attached to this post". the process of making the image on the sccm server as follows.

i copied the image into the sccm image share then made a new operating system image choosing a boot image. then made a task sequence and edited the task sequence to disable the network settings and windows settings leaving only the first three "boot into winpe, format hard disk, deply the image".

i also followed the deployment guide on the windows-noob for "build and capture" windows xp but i get the same result.

please find attached a copy of the pxe log file.

regards

smsts.log

You say you created a Build and Capture task sequence following the guide on this site. Did that successfully capture an image for you? if not, where in the process (what was on the screen) did it fail? Also, have you added any drivers (NIC, SATA, video, etc) to SCCM for the models you're using?

And lastly, XP is hardware dependent, so when testing, try to deploy it to the same machine model as the one you used to capture. Otherwise you can run into HAL issues...

I don't see any specific errors that can cause this but if you search on the error message 'sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7' I do see other issues with network card driver errors.

When you build an image it is best to use a image that has been built on a VM or a machine with minimal drivers installed, I use a IBM T60 laptop for my images and it works well (it was too hard to VMWare to work and this way I don't have to worry about HAL types). Imagex simply captures the image from the machine so this isn't really going to be part of the issue as I use this or the SCCM build and capture depending what I am doing.

Depending on the version of SCCM you are using (SP1 or SP2 or R2 and so on) you will need to load two things to make this work. You will need Windows 7 network drivers and Windows AHCI drivers and these need to be in your boot image no matter what OS you are deploying. SCCM needs the Windows 7 drivers to get the image pushed onto the machine and then it needs the OS specific drivers to be installed as the image is applied so it can communicate with the machine.

- Your first step is to make sure the the boot image matches the OS architecture that you are pushing out. If you are pushing out Windows XP x86 then use the x86 boot image.

- Your boot image should only include the LAN and AHCI drivers for Windows 7 matching the hardware you are using (x86 or x64 but don't mix both on either boot image).

- You should check the properties of your boot image and make sure the 'F8 command line support' is enabled.

Once you have checked/adjusted this then boot your machine again and when SCCM first starts up click the F8 key so the command prompt comes up. Once the command prompt comes up the machine will not reboot until it is closed so this will allow you access to the machine to check things out. First, type in 'ipconfig' to see what if any IP address has been assigned and if it is coming up blank you know you have to add the machine specific network driver for Windows 7 to the boot image. If the machine is getting a IP address then type in 'c:' to see if you can get to the C: drive and access any files/folders on this drive. If the drive is not formatted then stick it in another machine and create a partition and put some files and folders on it and repeat to see if you can see this through the F8 command prompt.

Once you have gone through these steps you should be able to figure out where the problem is, at the point you are stuck at it usually comes down to AHCI drivers or LAN drivers.

You say you created a Build and Capture task sequence following the guide on this site. Did that successfully capture an image for you? if not, where in the process (what was on the screen) did it fail? Also, have you added any drivers (NIC, SATA, video, etc) to SCCM for the models you're using?

And lastly, XP is hardware dependent, so when testing, try to deploy it to the same machine model as the one you used to capture. Otherwise you can run into HAL issues...

I cannot use the Capture task media on my machine coz SCCM will sysprep the machine for me and the image is already syspreped and ready. the sysprepSPAM! is already configured with many many many configurations and i have to do the sysprep myself. I tried actually to use the caputre media wizard but it faild. didnt check for errors i will do and get back to you to see what errors show up.

am using an old d530 and am sure the network card is working as on pressing F8 i can see that the machine gets an ip address. i used vmware also. anyway you will be hearing from me soon.

I don't see any specific errors that can cause this but if you search on the error message 'sending with winhttp failed; 80072ee7' I do see other issues with network card driver errors.

When you build an image it is best to use a image that has been built on a VM or a machine with minimal drivers installed, I use a IBM T60 laptop for my images and it works well (it was too hard to VMWare to work and this way I don't have to worry about HAL types). Imagex simply captures the image from the machine so this isn't really going to be part of the issue as I use this or the SCCM build and capture depending what I am doing.

Depending on the version of SCCM you are using (SP1 or SP2 or R2 and so on) you will need to load two things to make this work. You will need Windows 7 network drivers and Windows AHCI drivers and these need to be in your boot image no matter what OS you are deploying. SCCM needs the Windows 7 drivers to get the image pushed onto the machine and then it needs the OS specific drivers to be installed as the image is applied so it can communicate with the machine.

- Your first step is to make sure the the boot image matches the OS architecture that you are pushing out. If you are pushing out Windows XP x86 then use the x86 boot image.

- Your boot image should only include the LAN and AHCI drivers for Windows 7 matching the hardware you are using (x86 or x64 but don't mix both on either boot image).

- You should check the properties of your boot image and make sure the 'F8 command line support' is enabled.

Once you have checked/adjusted this then boot your machine again and when SCCM first starts up click the F8 key so the command prompt comes up. Once the command prompt comes up the machine will not reboot until it is closed so this will allow you access to the machine to check things out. First, type in 'ipconfig' to see what if any IP address has been assigned and if it is coming up blank you know you have to add the machine specific network driver for Windows 7 to the boot image. If the machine is getting a IP address then type in 'c:' to see if you can get to the C: drive and access any files/folders on this drive. If the drive is not formatted then stick it in another machine and create a partition and put some files and folders on it and repeat to see if you can see this through the F8 command prompt.

Once you have gone through these steps you should be able to figure out where the problem is, at the point you are stuck at it usually comes down to AHCI drivers or LAN drivers.

i think my reply to Lucid will answer some of your questions.

Because you have a LAN connection you know this part is working but you did not mention if you were able to access the C: drive on the machine you were testing on. All SCCM needs is a working LAN and SATA/AHCI driver to access the machine to put the image on it. It does't really matter what image you are putting on it and whether it will work or not as long as SCCM can see the drive and access it through the network it will install. The machine may never boot properly but it will always apply the image.

I would check to see if you can access the C: drive on your test machine and if you do add drivers make sure they are for Windows 7 when you are adding them to your boot image. SCCM only needs the LAN and AHCI drivers to boot the machine and they must be Windows 7 drivers and once the image has been applied you will add the OS specific drivers.