tobias-tobin

Error 0x00000057 installing new printer drivers

Question

We've started rolling out Windows 7 x64 as our new build (replacing XP systems). Not long after getting started on the rollout we've been encountering this error when we go to install a printer driver. It is bizarre in that it does not happen to every system, but it does happen to a significant number of systems. I believe I have found a work around but it just doesn't seem right that this is happening and that we should have to use a workaround. My work around is changing the permissions on the .dat files located at C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore folder. By default these files have System with full control, and users with read. That's all. If we add administrators with full control, then we can install the printer driver without getting the error. But the sad thing is a process or service changes the permissions back on these files.

I'm wondering if we are the only people seeing this? I've googled it and it is not unheard of. It sounds like the problem started with Vista. But why is this happening? Are any of you encountering this problem? Thanks, AJ.

2 answers to this question

Sounds like a vendor driver problem. The error code stands for "The parameter is incorrect." Sounds to me like the vendor isn't passing certain parameters to certain functions properly.

Are you deploying Windows 7 with Service Pack 1? I wonder if there are some printer-related hotfixes in SP1 or later ... make sure your base WIM is fully patched before deployment.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan

http://trevorsullivan.net

http://twitter.com/pcgeek86

Hi Trevor,

Thank you for your response.

Sounds like a vendor driver problem. The error code stands for "The parameter is incorrect." Sounds to me like the vendor isn't passing certain parameters to certain functions properly.

I agree except it is happening with different drivers (HP, Dell, Brother). And throw in the fact that it doesn't always happen makes it more mysterious to me.

Are you deploying Windows 7 with Service Pack 1? I wonder if there are some printer-related hotfixes in SP1 or later ... make sure your base WIM is fully patched before deployment.

Yes we are. And as part of the MDT2010 deployment I have it updating the system as the pre-software install step. But I've also got the image fully patched. Double coverage I guess. We do the software installs later with SCCM.

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

BTW - your site is awesome. Very well written and informative. I like it.

AJ.