Bane

Delete Obsolete Computer Objects

Question

Hi,

we manage about 250 - 300 PCs with our SCCM. From time to time we have to reinstall Windows 7 and all the software on some of out clients. The Problem is that after we reinstalled a client a new computer object is created in CM. So we then have one good computer object and one marked as obsolete. As long as we don't delete the obsolete object no software is deployed on the client.

So I tried to use the task "Delete Obsolete Client Discovery Data" to delete all the obsolete computer objects which doesn't work exactly like I would like it to do.

The problem is that the task can only be run once a day. Or is there a way to run it several times a day?

At the moment the task is run at 15:00h. At 22:30 all the clients are shut down via a scheduled task. So it often happens that, when you turn on a client which has been reinstalled the day before, there isn't all the software installed because there wasn't enough time the day before. It looks like as the task to delete the obsolete computer objects takes a lot of time to complete.

Is there a way to check why it takes the task so long to complete, or even better is there a way to run the task several times a day?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this issue.

greetings

Bane

2 answers to this question

Hi,

there is no need for deleting the obsolete objects manually. Just edit your collection query and add the "System Ressource\Obsolete" property with a value of 0. This should do the trick.

Edit: Also check your collection update schedules. The standard setting is 1 day when creating a new collection which will cause a huge delay.

Peter