Dan Sadler

Re-install of a SCCM Deployed OS via SCCM

Question

Hi,

I managed to successfully deploy a number of Windows 7 boxes using SCCM about a year and a half ago and they are now reaching the point when some of them want a re-install. I can't figure out how to get the advertisements I created for the computers to apply again.

I've added the computer I want to re-install back to the collection I had the advertisements running from and ensured that the Last PXE Advert has been cleared.

I try and PXE boot the device and it tries to contact the TFTP server and fails. I know that I had this problem originally when I tried to re-install a box as I was doing the first batch of computers and everything worked fine (implying I didn't have a setup issue) but only for new computers.

Has anyone had this problem before and / or know how to work around it?

Thanks

Dan

1 answer to this question

Have you looked at the logs for the PXE management point on your SCCM server to see why the machine is not picking up the advertisement? Have these machines been active SCCM clients this whole time or were they removed from the SCCM enviroment? Do the agents show a MAC address or GUID that would allow the machine to connect? When you are adding the machine to your imaging collection are you importing the computer through Computer Association or adding it from All Systems? I would check the PXE management point logs and see if it giving any information as to why it is not being picked up.