a4r0

Redeployment of XP Machine

Question

Hi,

We have SCCM 2007 and MDT 2010 integrated, i have a collection that will deploy windows xp and applications to a machine (not pxe boot) via dhcp. the question is

how do i go about REDEPLOYING the same machine in the collection. i have tried removing and then replace the machine into the collection but nothing happens.... does the task sequence recognize the machine having been deployed to already, do i need to remove files in order it not detect it previously been deployed too.

any help would be appreciated

thank you

5 answers to this question

How did you configure this to work through DHCP? Most people use a boot media or light-touch or zero-touch with SCCM so maybe this is the issue? You may have to delete the machine from SCCM and manually import the machine to get it to image properly. I use a 'imaging only' collection where I add the machine and apply the image and then remove the machine from the collection again after the image.

My apologise, for explaining it wrong, it is Zero touch that I am using, I place a computer into deployment collection in sccm and the machine is zero touched. what I would like to know is how can I zero touch a machine that has already had zero touch done to it, ive tried placing it back into the deployment collection and that hasn't worked.

thank you for your response.

How did you configure this to work through DHCP? Most people use a boot media or light-touch or zero-touch with SCCM so maybe this is the issue? You may have to delete the machine from SCCM and manually import the machine to get it to image properly. I use a 'imaging only' collection where I add the machine and apply the image and then remove the machine from the collection again after the image.

SCCM will remember the machine having the upgrade done on it before if you told it to not repeat the task sequence. One way around this is to delete the advertisement and create it again and this should allow the machine to take the image again. As a test you can create a new advertisement on 'temp' collection and see if it takes the image this way. Another way to push an image to the machine is to delete the SCCM entry and manually import the machine and try it again.

Thank you for your response. what i have decided to do is create a advertisement to rerun program, and in the task sequence used a vbs to remove the computername out of the collection once finished.

im in the process of testing it now to see if it works...

thanks again

SCCM will remember the machine having the upgrade done on it before if you told it to not repeat the task sequence. One way around this is to delete the advertisement and create it again and this should allow the machine to take the image again. As a test you can create a new advertisement on 'temp' collection and see if it takes the image this way. Another way to push an image to the machine is to delete the SCCM entry and manually import the machine and try it again.

Sorry for the Late reply.... it didnt work...... we had a consultant in who is a MVP himself in SCCM and he created a status filter rule that called a script that removed the machine out of a collection as soon as it finishes....

seems to be working fine now.