Adam K

Bare metal PXE OSD error: 0x80004005

Question

Hi guys, this problem is driving me mad, and I've wasted 3 days on trying to resolve it so far to no avail.

Basically when I try to deploy Windows 7 via PXE boot, the Task Sequence always fails when trying to install the OS, and throws the error message "Task Sequence sequence name has failed with the error code (0x80004005)...".

I've read threads that suggest this error code relates to certificates, and in the smspxe.log the only errors appearing are as follows:

WARNING: _SMSTSSiteSigningCertificate Not Set. This might cause client failures in native mode. smspxe 11/07/2011 12:30:19 2488 (0x09B8)

WARNING: _SMSTSRootCACerts Not Set. This might cause client failures in native mode. smspxe 11/07/2011 12:30:19 2488 (0x09B8)

WARNING: _SMSTSCertStoreName Not Set. This might cause client failures in native mode. smspxe 11/07/2011 12:30:19 2488 (0x09B8)

WARNING: _SMSTSCertSelection Not Set. This might cause client failures in native mode. smspxe 11/07/2011 12:30:19 2488 (0x09B8)

But surely these aren't relevant as i'm not using certificates?? This is actually the second time I've built SCCM up on this server and I'm using the same settings and config as before (which worked).

I can PXE boot, and select the advertisment I want to run, it then proceedes to format and partition the hard drive successfully, but then failes as soon as it begins the task of installing the OS.

I have tried removing all drivers from Boot images, re-adding them in (only the network adapters), rebooting the sever, deleted the Windows 7 OS Install Package and re-creating it (even re-downloaded the image), I've re-created the advertisments, removed the PXE boot images from the distribution points and added them in again, nothing has fixed it!!

I've read this problem is sometimes related to drivers, but I'm using the same drivers as I did in the previous installation. Should the PXE OSD work even if I didn't add any drivers to the Boot Images? I tried and it got to the same point as it is going now.

Please help!

The 00005 error is usually unspecified and can mean a whole host of things.

From experience, I would say your issue is either down to the location of you 'Setup Windows and Config Manager' step (this should be after apply OS, apply drivers etc). Or you are missing a driver.

Please can you post your smsts.log file and it should say why it is failing.

Thanks,

Paul

Nah I'm not using Native mode, i'm in Mixed mode. Smsts.log is saved on the client right? The machines I'm working on have no OS, how can I extract the log file from the client?

My Task Sequence is as follows:

1. Format and Parition Disk: Disk number = 0, Disk type = standard(MBR), Volume (Partition Type = Primary), (99% of remaining free space), (File system=NTFS, quick format)

2. Apply Operating System Image: Apply operating system from an original installation source (OS package selected)

3. Auto Apply Drivers

4. Apply Windows Settings: company name, workgroup etc.

5. Apply Network Settings:

But its not getting past step 2 so would that not suggest it cannot be related to the Setup Windows and Config Manager step?

Select the boot image you are using in the SCCM console, select the Windows PE tab, and select the "Enable Command Support" check box. Refresh the DP and resend the TS. That'll give you a command prompt on the workstation that'll allow you to view the log files.

I have had an absolute nightmare with this, since I posted my last message I tried removing the PXE service point, uninstalling WDS, adding it all in again but then I started getting these errors preventing PXE from downloading the boot image: "PXE-T01: File not found" and "PXE-E3B: TFTP Error – File Not Found"! I've just resolved that by following this guide. I was kinda hoping that stripping it down to the extent I did and fixing it again would magically make the OSD task sequence work, but it turns out I'm back to the same stage I was at earlier!

I've attached the SMSTSLog file, but I can't see anything obviously wrong on it, maybe you guys will spot something.

smsts.log

I cant see anything in the log that points to an error message.

By any chance, do you have a Product Key entered in the Apply Windows Settings task? If so, try removing it and re-run.

I have had the issue before when entering a KMS key.

Thanks,

Paul

I cant see anything in the log that points to an error message.

By any chance, do you have a Product Key entered in the Apply Windows Settings task? If so, try removing it and re-run.

I have had the issue before when entering a KMS key.

Nope, I left the product key entry option empty, the deployed clients will automatically be activated by our KMS server (if they ever deploy)

Anyone know if the installation will complete if I don't add any drivers to the Boot Image(s)? I'm using machines that contain fairly common generic drivers and Windows usually installs them automatically. Or are the Boot image drivers absolutely required? I know that I have been able to PXE boot and run the first task sequence without adding any drivers to the boot image previously. But again, it fails at the same point. I really just want to rule out Drivers as the issue if possible.

I see nothing in that log, either.

Boot images must have the drivers injected in order to interface with the hardware properly. It's similar to pressing F6 when installing XP to install 3rd party drivers. Whether or not the installation would run without injecting any drivers is dependent upon the hardware platform you are running and whether or not the drivers are already included in the boot image. If you enabled the command prompt during the TS you can look at the local log files - they should give you more information. I believe there's a listing of those log file locations somewhere on this site. I'll see if I can find them.

Here's the locations for all OSD logs:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb932135.aspx

I also recommend the right-click tools for SCCM. It includes SMS Trace which is helpful in formatting and highlighting errors, making the scanning of log files much easier. I install it on my workstation and it gives you some wonderful functionality (if you don't already have it).

http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/rhouchins/archive/2008/04/09/sccm-right-click-tools.aspx

Thanks for your comments guys, unfortunately before I was unable to resolve the error the hard drive array on my piece of crap server failed and now i've lost everything and have to start again with a new server!

Just for hell of it, I tried a manual install of Windows 7 on a VM using the Windows 7 ISO media that I had extracted for OSD, strangely the installation kept prompting for a storage driver which I could never match. I downloaded the ISO image again, for a 3rd time, tried the manual install on the same VM and it didn't ask for a driver at all and completed installation successfully, so my guess is the problem could have possibly been related to a dodgy Windows 7 image??

I'm not convinced though, because I was initially using the same extracted OS that worked perfectly in my first attempt of setting up SCCM.

Looks like its back to starting from scratch...AGAIN! 3rd time lucky ay ;-)