daveinhb

Setting up a new SCCM 2007 installation with a pre-existing one

I am setting up a new Sccm 2007 installation that will temporarly co-exist with a pre-existing one. My questions is what is the best way to do this. Eventually the old installation will be removed. I wanted to keep them seperate if possible. I want to use a new site code and add only new clients to the new installation. The old installation has been recently been upgraded to Sccm 2007 r2.

Hey there, welcome to the forums.

Since you're most likely going to have overlapping site boundaries, I would recommend leaving AD publishing disabled on the new SCCM infrastructure. Install the server locator point role and for the time being, install clients using a batch file that points them to your new Management Point (SMSMP MSI property) and Server Locator Point (SMSSLP MSI property). Technically you shouldn't need the SLP if you also manually assign the site code (SMSSITECODE MSI property), but it's a good safety fallback.

Once you've migrated all your clients to the new infrastructure, decomission the old one and enable AD publishing on your new primary site.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan

http://trevorsullivan.net

Thanks,

this is a great forum.

The old install has been published in AD and I do have overlapping boundries. I have not configured any boundries on the new installation and have not published in AD as per your suggestions. I will try to manually install the client this afternoon and see what happens. Thanks.

• Like 1

Ok, I tried installing the client manually. I specified the site code, the slp, and the MP. The client installs but the Client configuration Manager properties show the Site Mode and the ConfigMgr Connection Type as UNKNOWN, and the AD Site Name is from the original server. I tried to change the site code manually and get the message Failed to Update Site Code. I'm not sure where I should look next to fix this. Any ideas?

Hello,

Can you post the command line you're using to install the SCCM client to point to the new site?

You should probably be using some combination of the following MSI properties:

SMSSLP=newsccmserver.mydomain.loc

FSP=newsccmserver.mydomain.loc

SMSMP=newsccmserver.mydomain.loc

SMSSITECODE=auto

You could use the /mp: switch (not a MSI property) to make sure that ccmsetup.exe downloads the client source files from the new management point. Without this switch, it's quite possible that ccmsetup.exe would locate the default management point from Active Directory, and therefore download the client source files from your old infrastructure.

One more thing: when site code assignment fails, have a look through the client log files. This will help you troubleshoot why the manual assignment is failing.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan

http://trevorsullivan.net

http://twitter.com/pcgeek86

Trevor,

I was using the following command.

ccmsetup SMSSITECODE=XYX SMSSLP=SERVERNAME SMSMP=SERVERNAME. This did not work.

Here is what worked. I added FSP and gave the fully qualified server name.

ccmsetup SMSSITECODE=XYX SMSSLP=SERVERNAME.mydomain.com SMSMP=SERVERNAME.mydomain.com FSP=SERVERNAME.mydomain.com.

It took about 20 minutes to register. I updated my collection and the system appeared.

Again thanks for the help.

On to the next challange.

Dave