Kevin79

Symantec Endpoint Protection deployment

Question

I;m trying to install Symantec through SCCM. It installs but when it installs, it installs everything. When I run the msi (i have the package as folder, not a single file), it installs only the components it is supposed to install. Any idea how to get it to install properly with SCCM?

In my Program Command Line I specify the options, this is what I run for example:

msiexec.exe /I "SEP.msi" ADDLOCAL=CORE,SAVMAIN /qn /l* C:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\sep.log

Using that command I have had no problems installing SEP via a task sequence or software deployment.

This however installs all the components, as specifed with the ADDLOCAL switch.

You can get more info on this website:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102668&locale=en_US

In my Program Command Line I specify the options, this is what I run for example:

msiexec.exe /I "SEP.msi" ADDLOCAL=CORE,SAVMAIN /qn /l* C:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\sep.log

Using that command I have had no problems installing SEP via a task sequence or software deployment.

This however installs all the components, as specifed with the ADDLOCAL switch.

You can get more info on this website:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH102668&locale=en_US

I tried using the options for install but it fails with "Error 2711. The specified Feature name ('CORE') not found in Feature table." My command is msiexec.exe /I "Symantec AntiVirus.msi" /qb ADDLOCAL=CORE,SAVMAIN,OUTLOOKSNAPIN,Pop3Smtp /l* c:\sav.log

Any ideas?

As the Error says the Feature CORE is not found in the msi. You can verify it by opening the msi with an msi editor like Orca. Go to the feature table and see if the feature is available.

The best way to deploy the package is to create an EXE file in SEPM though.

As the Error says the Feature CORE is not found in the msi. You can verify it by opening the msi with an msi editor like Orca. Go to the feature table and see if the feature is available.

The best way to deploy the package is to create an EXE file in SEPM though.

Doesn't that always produce a failure code during the install?

I tried using the options for install but it fails with "Error 2711. The specified Feature name ('CORE') not found in Feature table." My command is msiexec.exe /I "Symantec AntiVirus.msi" /qb ADDLOCAL=CORE,SAVMAIN,OUTLOOKSNAPIN,Pop3Smtp /l* c:\sav.log

Any ideas?

I ran your command against my package from a command prompt and didn't get the errors you mentioned here.

Might be an idea to try rebuilding the package unless you have access to that orca tool Peter33 mentions.

What was the original command line you were running?

I ran your command against my package from a command prompt and didn't get the errors you mentioned here.

Might be an idea to try rebuilding the package unless you have access to that orca tool Peter33 mentions.

What was the original command line you were running?

I can also run the original command at a command prompt and it works. For some reason, it doesn't work in SCCM though.

All right, i was taking a closer look on our SEP installation today.

The whole thing is an Install Shield Build, so Symantec has obviously a restribitution license for Install Shiled.

The exe file you can build with SEPM is just a self extracting and self executing Install Shield Installer. So it's the same difference if you use the exe or the sources.

The sources containing also a setup.exe which is configured by 2 files named setAid.ini and setup.ini. You can run the setup.exe without any switches this way. The Setup.exe is bypassing the configuration to the msi file.

The setAid.ini has section with the features to be installed or not. It looks like this.

[FEATURE_SELECTION]

SAVMain=1

EMailTools=1

OutlookSnapin=0

NotesSnapin=0

Pop3Smtp=1

ITPMain=0

Firewall=0

PTPMain=0

COHMain=0

DCMain=0

As you can see, there is no feature called CORE.

My advice, run the Setup.exe from the sources. You can enable or disble features just by editing the setAid.ini file.

If you want to use the msi, you probably have to disable features, which you don#t want to be installed, by adding the REMOVE=XXX,XXX option to your comman line.

All right, i was taking a closer look on our SEP installation today.

The whole thing is an Install Shield Build, so Symantec has obviously a restribitution license for Install Shiled.

The exe file you can build with SEPM is just a self extracting and self executing Install Shield Installer. So it's the same difference if you use the exe or the sources.

The sources containing also a setup.exe which is configured by 2 files named setAid.ini and setup.ini. You can run the setup.exe without any switches this way. The Setup.exe is bypassing the configuration to the msi file.

The setAid.ini has section with the features to be installed or not. It looks like this.

[FEATURE_SELECTION]

SAVMain=1

EMailTools=1

OutlookSnapin=0

NotesSnapin=0

Pop3Smtp=1

ITPMain=0

Firewall=0

PTPMain=0

COHMain=0

DCMain=0

As you can see, there is no feature called CORE.

My advice, run the Setup.exe from the sources. You can enable or disble features just by editing the setAid.ini file.

If you want to use the msi, you probably have to disable features, which you don#t want to be installed, by adding the REMOVE=XXX,XXX option to your comman line.

There is not feature called CORE in that file but the MSI does have one in it. Also, running setup.exe works but it returns a failure to SCCM (even though it is installed).

There is not feature called CORE in that file but the MSI does have one in it. Also, running setup.exe works but it returns a failure to SCCM (even though it is installed).

Ok, let's rephrase that to no choosable feature.

Does the setup.exe produce the same error 2771 or something different? You could still rebuild the sources and see if the error goeas away.

Another option would be to install the package in a task sequence and adding this error code to the success codes. Maybe not nice, but it will work.