joshub3r

Windows Deployment Service

Question

Hi all,

I'm getting this error when trying to start the Deployment service.

Windows could not start the Windows Deployment Services server service on Local Computer

Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly

This, I'm pretty sure is a pebkac issue.

When I check the deployment logs this is what it tells me:

The description for Event ID 258 from source WDSIMGSRV cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

I believe this came about when I tryed to import a new image the wrong way. It hung and I was forced to close. The service went down and now I'm unable to start it

Last time this happened we had to rebuild the PXE service point.

I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

post-10782-0-20328300-1310683113_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

Hi,

unfortunately this happens pretty often when injecting modules or new drivers to pxe wim's. This also may happen after deleting a pxe wim.

Remove the folder "c:\windows\temp\pxeootfiles" and try to start the wds service. Don't worry, the folder will be recreated.

In case this fails remove the pxe image from the smspxeimages$ share an restart the wds service.

Seems like you can edit the pxe wim's just a few times before they get messed up. I started to delete and recreate the pxe wim's from the cratch to avoid this behavior.

Good luck

• Like 2

Hi,

Thank you for this tip. I just had the same problem and thanks to this forum I was able to fix the issue.

All I did was remove all the PXE images ( just cut and paste) to another folder ( eg: on sCCM server desktop) and tried to restart the server. I could restart the server at this point.

Then I stopped the service again. Added back one image at a time back in to the original folder , each time checking if I could start the service.

There was one folder that didn't have a .wim file and that was the one causing the problem.

I cannot thank enough for this TIP.

Best wishes,

NXU