anyweb

using SCCM 2012 beta2 in a LAB - Part 7. Deploying Windows 7 Enterprise

Well, first, congratulations on this excellent guide. It's helped me a lot (with a deadline of rolling out Windows 7 as a pilot/UAT to two users for this Monday a.m. - which, despite this guide I don't think I'm going to meet, at least not with SCCM 2012!)

I've hit upon my first problem. When running the 'Import Computer Information Wizard' it fails with this error message:

Error: Following computers have not been imported:

Name: W7_32BIT

MAC Address: 00:50:56:82:00:08

SMBIOS GUID:

Source Computer:

Choose Target Collection: None Chosen

Errors

The SMS Provider reported an error.

ConfigMgr Error Object:

instance of SMS_ExtendedStatus

{

Description = "Unable to save changes";
ErrorCode = 2152205056;
File = "e:\\nts_sccm_retail\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\sspsite.cpp";
Line = 1242;
Operation = "ExecMethod";
ParameterInfo = "SMS_Site";
ProviderName = "WinMgmt";
StatusCode = 2147749889;

};

My first thought was to manually create the folder structure mentioned in the "File = " line but that hasn't helped.

I have to admit I don't really understand what this part of the process is trying to achieve. I thought that I could just build a machine from SCCM but the implication of this article is that to do so you have to refer to an existing machine with the required OS already on it. Is that right? And if so, why is it done this way?

the file referenced is nothing to do with any physical path on your server, are you sure your machine account SERVER$ has local admin rights on this computer, and that you are doing this as local administrator (user) ?

Thanks for your reply.

I'm logged on as our domain Administrator account. Everything being built is on the same box, apart from the WSUS server which is separate. I've not done much WSUS configuration since I'm currently only interested in the OS deployment, rather than patch deployment.

so to recap

you are logged on as a local administrator of this server and the computer account has been added to the local administrators group ? did you log off and log on again before retrying ?

Hello All,

I have a question regarding the application installation part of creating the task sequence. I have only one application in my software library which is XML Notepad 2007 but when I click the yellow star to add it to the task sequence, no applications are listed. Anyone have any idea why that might be? The task sequence works flawlessly otherwise...

Thank You,

Eric D. Craven

Hi,

I also ran in to the error, but on the sccm 2012 rc running with admin account and also running the console as admin gives the error

Error: Following computers have not been imported:

• Name: test
  • MAC Address: 00:21:5A:F7:EF:B8
  • SMBIOS GUID:
  • Source Computer:
  • Choose Target Collection: All Systems

Errors

1. The SMS Provider reported an error.ConfigMgr Error Object:instance of SMS_ExtendedStatus{ Description = "Unable to save changes"; ErrorCode = 2152205056; File = "e:\\nts_sccm_release\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\sspsite.cpp"; Line = 1286; Operation = "ExecMethod"; ParameterInfo = "SMS_Site"; ProviderName = "WinMgmt"; StatusCode = 2147749889;};

I tried importing another computer with a different MAC-address that starts with 88:AE........and that computer is succesfully imported.

I the tried a third computer with a different MAC-address that starts with 00:23... imports ok

My collegue then tries to import the computer that gives error and he succesfully imports it with another name. He then deletes it and tries again -> error once again

Any ideas on what might be a reason for this?