quadzilla

SCCM - New parent Site

Question

Hi All,

long time reader, first time poster.

i have an issue with an SCCM install we currently have.

Basically I have inherited a new forest to look after and we want to use SCCM to look after this new site - currently uses RIS.

what we have done so far is on the new forest we have installed SCCM and added a 2 way transitive trust between domains.

we have then added a ROOT server which will be used to connect the 2 forests together.

i.e.

Main Site + 3 x secondaries - Root - New Forest

---------

so my question is, what is the easiest way to get all the packages and OSD tasks sent over to the new forest from the existing "MAin Site", I was hoping you could send packages upto a parent but it looks like this is not possible.

from the new root I can see all the DP's from both other sites but can't seem to see the same the other way round.

hope this kinda makes sense.

Cheers

3 answers to this question

Hi Peter,

thanks for the reply.

I'll try and explain.

we have 2 different domains which are completely seperate apart from the 2 way trust.

users in one domain have no access to the other.

we intend to use the same packages and windows os images on both domains but to want a central point of administering the 2 sites but also allow a local admin to control there sccm box to a certain degree.

we have therefore added a root sccm server with the 2 site servers for the other domains as childs to that - we can therefore add new packages to the root and have them distributed to the 2 childs.

the problem we have is that one of the child sites has all the packages and configuration on and we need to distribute them to the root server so we can then distribute them to the other child.

I presumed that packages could flow down only BUT wondered if there was any tool or process to export the packages so they could be imported into the root and then distributed to the other child.

cheers

There is no out-of-the-box solution for that... besides working around it by first adding the site with packages on top, let it replicate, remove the link and make the new site on top... but you are already past that state...

You could try something like the 1E Tool here (but I don't know how it wil behave): http://www.1e.com/downloads/freetools/index.aspx?flag=configmgr