GauiC

Build and capture image stops

Question

Hi,

I have been updating my images somewhat regularly, however I've stumbled onto a problem that I haven't figured out how to solve.

My setup is, SCCM 2007 SP2 R3. Deploying Windows 7 Enterprise and Professional 32 and 64 bit images. (Not yet deploying SP1 for Win7)

My task sequence is quite simple (wizard generated mostly):

Build the Reference Machine

Restart in Windows PE

Partition Disk 0

default settings, except enabled Quick format.

Apply Operating System

changed this to deploy the latest image instead of deploying from source files. (the image here is the latest image I used in deployments)

Apply Windows Settings

I am not entering product key here, but have enabled the administrator account and set the password (for troubleshooting)

Apply Network Settings

joining workgroup only

Apply Device Drivers

auto applying only network adapters (saving time)

Setup windows and ConfigMgr

using parameters: SMSSLP=<MySCCMServer> SMSMP=<MySCCMServer> SMSCACHESIZE=15360 PATCH="C:\_SMSTaskSequence\OSD\<SiteCode>00011\i386\hotfix\KB2509007\sccm2007ac-sp2-kb2509007-x86-enu.msp"

Install Software Updates

All Software Updates

Capture the Reference Machine

Prepare ConfigMgr Client

Prepare OS

Capture the Reference Machine

I advertise this to all unknown computers along with all the updates that I am deploying.

When running this task sequence now, it runs smoothly until it finishes the Install Software Updates task. After the update task finish the computer is restarted by the install software update task and the following line is displayed in the advertisement status message for the build and capture advertisement:

The task sequence execution engine performed a system reboot initiated by the action(Install Software Updates) in the group (Build the Reference Machine).

However the reference computer now starts to initialize the configMgr client but reboots and shows me the logon screen, and nothing more is reported in the advertisement status message for the build and capture advertisement.

If I logon to the reference computer I notice that the folder _SMSTaskSequence is available on the C: drive and also the ProvisioningMode is set to true in registry.

I am thinking that maybe some update is causing this problem but I am not sure what would be the best way to troubleshoot this.

Any ideas?

GauiC

6 answers to this question

Did you go through the log files stored on the failed capture machine to see if anything else jumps out at you?

And I'd suggest making a separate task sequence and a separate OS image to contain things. It prevents "uh oh" type of problems from happening.

Oh, and you can take a quick look at the screen shots at the bottom of this post: http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/rbennett806/pages/using-sccm-to-capture-and-deploy-windows-7.aspx to see if that helps in setting up your Build and Capture TS.

If that doesn't help, try temporarily disabling the Software Updates sections and running it - to help narrow down if that's really the culprit...

I am almost certain that the System Update task is causing this, the last two advertisement status for this task sequence are:

The task sequence execution engine successfully completed the action (Install Software Updates) in the group (Build the Reference Machine) with exit code 0

Action output: r job status notification ...

Waiting for job status notification ...

NotifyComplete received

Received job completion notification from Updates Deployment Agent

Reboot Required

Setting TSEnv variable SMSTSRebootRequested=HD

Setting TSEnv variable SMSTSRetryRequested=TRUE

Installation is not yet complete, action needs to be re-run after reboot

Setting TSEnv variable SMSTSInstallUpdateJobGUID=.

then followed by this status message:

The task sequence execution engine performed a system reboot initiated by the action (Install Software Updates) in the group (Build the Reference Machine).

No more statuses appear after this status, and the computer that was used for the reference displays the logon promth.

I am using test task sequence and test image while I am finding out the problem (I don't want the "uh oh" :))

I also tried to disable the Software Updates Task and then the task sequence runs smoothly and finishes correctly.

Looking through the log files I notice one out of the ordinary:

the smsts.log file included these lines:

The action (Install Software Updates) requested a retry

Reboot to local harddisk

_OSDGinalsConfigured variable set to TRUE

_SMSTSServiceStart Type variable set to

Calling RebootSystem()

OSD type of task sequence. ignore the service window setting

then after reboot a new smsts.log is formed and this is listed there:

Failed to set log directory. Some execution history may be lost. The system cannot find the file specified. (Error: 80070002; Source: Windows)

Executing task sequence

!sVolumeID.empty(). HRESULT=80004005 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\resolvesource.cpp,467)

!sTSMDataPath.empty(). HRESULT=80070002 (e:\nts_sms_fre\sms\framework\tscore\resolvesource.cpp,1395)

Task Sequence environment not found. Task sequence completed in Windows PE.

Uninstalling Setup Hook

I created an image about six months ago using the same Task Sequence, so this is a new problem.

Not sure that it matters, but Windows 7 SP1 has not yet been deployed in our company as it is still going through some tests. Could it be possible that some newly released patches require SP1 and therefore makes software updates installation get this way?

I just tried now to change the task sequence to use Operating System Install package instead of an image (as a starting point for my new image).

the software update task ran as normal, now with 83 updates installing, it rebooted after installing the 83 updates an the next step was to run the software updates again (as it is needed to run few times to get all updates in).

But it fails just like before, after reboot the computer does not continue running the task sequence and gives me the login promth.

smsts shows me the same information as before, that the task sequence environment is not found.

I will try to add SP1 to the image and see if that will fix the problem.

Update: ok, I have tested deploying Windows 7 SP 1 image and added updates to that image during build and capture task sequence, and it works flawlessly.

So it seems like that this is a problem related to building an non-SP1 image and updating it with post-sp1 patches. You would think that patches that require SP1 should not install at all but I guess that I have only two options now:

1. hurry the project of testing sp1 in our corporation and then deploy new machines with sp1.

2. try build and capture again but add fewer patches at each time to find out the patch that is causing this.