DE_FreD_S

SCCM 2012 Supersedence

Hello there,

I've succdessfully set up an SCCM test environment and would now like to test the supersedence function. However, I am not able to get this to work.

I have a test scenario, where users have Mozilla FireFox 3 installed and this should be superseded by FireFox 5. I added FF 3 to the supersedence list in FF 5 but nothing happens. The other way around, adding FF 5 to the supersedence list in FF 3 doesn't work either. I am obviously missing something here. Can anyone set me on the right track here?

Cheers,

Fred

supersedence is for applications, not packages, have you tried looking at applications instead ?

it's covered here on Technet

Applies To: System Center Configuration Manager 2012

[This topic is pre-release documentation and is subject to change in future releases. Blank topics are included as placeholders.]

Application management in Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager 2012 allows you to upgrade or replace existing applications using a supersedence relationship. When you supersede an application, you can specify a new deployment type to replace the deployment type of the superseded application and also configure whether to uninstall the superseded application.

ImportantImportant

When you supersede an application, this applies to all future deployments and Application Catalog requests. It will not affect current installations of the application.

To specify a supersedence relationship

In the Configuration Manager console, click Software Library.

In the Software Library workspace, expand Application Management, click Applications, and then click the application you want to supersede another application.

On the Home tab, in the Properties group, click Properties to open the <Application Name>Properties dialog box.

On the Supersedence tab of the <Application Name>Properties dialog box, click Add.

In the Specify Supersedence Relationship dialog box, click Browse.

In the Choose Application dialog box, select the application you want to supersede and then click OK.

In the Specify Supersedence Relationship dialog box, select the deployment type that will replace the deployment type of the superseded application.

noteNote

By default, the new deployment type will not uninstall the deployment type of the superseded application. This scenario will commonly be used when you want to upgrade an existing application. Select Uninstall to remove the existing deployment type before the new deployment type is installed.

Click OK to close the <Application Name>Properties dialog box.

To display applications that supersede the current application

In the Configuration Manager console, click Software Library.

In the Software Library workspace, expand Application Management, click Applications, and then click the application you want.

On the Home tab, in the Properties group, click Properties to open the <Application Name>Properties dialog box.

On the References tab of the <Application Name>Properties dialog box, select Applications that supersede this application from the Select a relationship type to review drop-down list.

Review the list of applications that supersede the selected application, then click OK to close the <Application Name>Properties dialog box.

supersedence is for applications, not packages, have you tried looking at applications instead ?

it's covered here on Technet

Hey there :-)

Thanks for the link :-) I did it a bit differently I think, but it worked. I added FF3 in the supersedence pane of FF5. Then I went to the references pane of FF3 and selected "this application is superseded by" and checked that FF5 was listed. I then deployed FF5. Checking the software center on the client, FF5 imidietly popped up, FF3 was set to "no longer available" and FF5 was automatically installed. :-)

Cheers,

Fred