Adam K

Populate Collection based on existance of a file

Question

I want to have a few collections dynamically populated based on whether they have a specific file on their machines. For example, I have a collection called 'IT staff', where every member of the IT dept will have a file saved in their C:\ root called: ITDept.txt (for example). The collection will see that this file exists and populate the desired collection with all machines that have this file.

Any ideas where to begin? I can get SCCM to query for .exe files and installed programs, but can't find where to specify the files extension.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

Hey there Adam,

I'd strongly recommend using Desired Configuration Management (DCM) for this purpose. That way, you don't have to go around extending hardware inventory needlessly. :)

Do you need specific help with building a DCM compliance rule for this?

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Trevor Sullivan

http://trevorsullivan.net

http://twitter.com/pcgeek86

• Like 1

Hi,

You can achieve this by using Software Inventory, add for *.txt and then choose to not look in sub-directories and only in C:\ that should not generate that much data and then you can create the collections you lika based on it.

regards,

Jörgen

Hi, thanks for your replies, I've not managed to get this to work yet. I've gone into Client Agents > Software Inventory Client Agent > Inventory Collection, and added *.txt files in the location %SYSTEMDRIVE%\WINDOWS\System32\Identification\, however when I browse a given computers Resource Explorer, under Softwre > File Details, I still only see the .exe files SCCM had descovered previously. I have forced a few client machines to run the Software Inventory Cycle, which does does run, but the .txt files are not being descovered. Any idea's why? Do I have to modify to sms_def.mof file?

How does this method differ over using "Desired Configuration Management" and what are its benifits?