anyweb

Part 1: how can I install SMS 2003 SP2?

Question

This Guide assumes you are installing Microsoft SMS 2003 Sp1. This ISO is available for download on MSDN. As part of this guide we will upgrade SMS 2003 sp1 to SMS 2003 sp2. Optionally, Service pack 3 for Microsoft SMS 2003 is available online so you can install that after this installation (if you want).

This guide also assumes that you are setting it up on a Windows 2003 Server (sp1 or later) and that you have installed SQL server 2000 or later. SQL 2005 is the recommended database solution today for SMS 2003 however for the purposes of this article only SQL server 2000 sp4 is covered.

Microsoft recommends the following server requirements:-

� Internet Information Services (IIS) must be installed and enabled as part of the Windows Server installation for certain SMS site system roles.

� Microsoft SQL Server� 7.0 with Service Pack 4 or later, SQL Server 2000 with Service Pack 4 or later, Microsoft SQL Server 2005, Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP1, or Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP2 is required for the SMS site database system role.

Warning:-

If you have not installed and configured IIS then do NOT start the SMS installation. IIS must be setup and configured first.

welcome.JPG

click on the SMS 2003 icon to start the installation Wizard.

wizard_start.JPG

click next to continue and depending on your configuration click next again to see the installation options.

system_configuration.JPG

Next we get to make a choice, let's stick with the default which is Install an SMS primary Site.

install_primary.JPG

next you may get to choose a custom (default) or express setup, stick with the default and click next.

default_setup_type.JPG

Next we are asked to accept the license agreement,

i_agree.JPG

and next we can input the registration details (I've removed my product key from the below screenshot)

registered.JPG

next we get to choose the Site Code, it's a 3 character code so make sure to write it down or remember it... In the example here I use WIN as the site code

site_code.JPG

Now we get to decide if we shall extend the , make sure to enable this choice before clicking next as it allows us to implement automatic site assignment or roaming boundries for advanced clients.

extend_schema.JPG

For security settings leave the default (advanced)

security.JPG

the next choice is for the number of clients on your SMS site, enter a number which corresponds to that amount

client_load.JPG

Next we get to choose where to install SMS, in the example here, I installed it on my D:\ partition (d:\sms), in addition I selected the remote tools option. NOTE: this is considered a security risk and wouldn't be recommended normally.

install_where.JPG

next you are prompted for the SQL server information. Accept the defaults and click next.

sql_info.JPG

let SMS create the database...

create_database.JPG

make a note of it's name

database_name.JPG

enter a path for the transaction log, I changed mine from the default (C: to D:)

transaction_log.JPG

if you have a lot of windows Admins, then consider changing this otherwise leave as default (SMS consoles)

sms_consoles.JPG

finally you'll see the completing the wizard screen

completing_the_wizard.JPG

clicking next will complete the installation (will take some time so go get yourself a coffee) and then you can click on finish to end the wizard.

installed.JPG

Ok once done, let's upgrade it to Sp2 by downloading this and installing it (also available on MSDN)

sp2_ftw.JPG

agree to to sp2 license

i_agree_to_sp2.JPG

and then choose to not accept...

dont_accept.JPG

after quite some time you have installed SMS 2003 Sp2. If you want to upgrade it to Sp3 then go ahead. I stayed at Sp2 because that was all i needed.

sms_sp2_done.JPG

finish_sp2.JPG

at this point i decided to reboot.

after the reboot you can startup the SMS administrator console

sms_administrator_console.JPG

and your SMS server should look like this

sms_server_completed.JPG

congrats you are done !

Ok, now that you have installed SMS you will want to configure it.

cheers

niall

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet