anyweb

using SCCM 2012 beta 2 in a LAB - Part 9. Deploying Windows 7 Enterprise

In Part 1. of this series we Installed SCCM 2012, in Part 2 we started to configure it. In Part 3, we configured Beta 2 some more by enabling Active Directory discovery methods, adding some site system roles, configuring the computer client agent and client push settings and finally doing a manual client installation to verify it all worked, in Part 4 we looked at installing an application using Application Management and the Software Catalog and the Software Center features of SCCM 2012, and in Part 5, we added the FSP, SLP, SMP, SUP. In Part 6 we got our SCCM 2012 server ready for Deploying Windows 7 Enterprise SP1 so that we could start deploying some Windows 7 clients to enhance our LAB, then in Part 7 we created a Build and Capture Task Sequence and deployed it to our Build and Capture collection. In Part 8 we created our Network Access Account and captured our Windows 7 SP1 image (and Windows 7 RTM). Now we will deploy that captured image to a new Virtual Machine.

Perform the following on your SCCM 2012 beta 2 server as SMSadmin.

Step 1. Import the captured images

If you havn't already done so repeat the Build and Capture Process so that we have both Windows 7 X64 SP1 and Windows 7 X64 images captured.

In the Software Library, Operating Systems section of the Configmgr console, click on Operating System Images, you'll note that it is empty because we havn't imported any images yet.

operating system images.png

In the ribbon above, click on Home and then Add Operating System Image

add operating system image.png

for data source enter the capture UNC eg: \\vnext\sources\captures and click on browse,

browse captured wims.png

select the W7x64SP1.wim file

wim specified.png

enter the operating system image data

general info of image.png

click next and next again

review the add operating system image Wizard completion message

add operating system image wizard completed.png

click Close, then repeat the above process for our Windows 7 X64 image (RTM).

Both images should now appear

both images.png

• Like 1

Step 2. Distribute Content

We now need to distribute our imported images to our distribution points. Select Our Windows 7 Enterprise Service pack 1 image and in the ribbon above click on Home and then Distribute Content

distribute content ribbon.png

when the Distribute Content wizard appears click next

distribute content review.png

specify our vnext Distribution Point

add vnext dp.png

click next, next and review the Wizard Completion

dp selected.png

click Close and then repeat the above for our other Windows 7 image.

Step 3. Create the Deploy Task Sequence

Now that we have added our captured operating system images to Configmgr, and distributed them to our dp's we want to create a Deploy Task sequence to Deploy the image. In Task Sequences, right click and choose Create Task Sequence.

create task sequence.png

This time select the first option, Install an existing image package

Install an existing image package.png

fill in some details about the image and select the X86 boot image

x86 boot image.png

for Image package, click on browse and select our Windows 7 Enterprise X64 Service Pack 1 image

browse and select our sp1 image.png

for Image click on the drop down and change it from All Images to 1 - 1 and enter a password for the Local Administrator account (good for troubleshooting failed installations), notice there is an already checked Partition and Format the target computer before installing the operating system step

image 1 - 1.png

enter your Domain Joining credentials and specify an OU if you wish, I didn't.

Note: please don't select the Computer Container as that is a container (not an OU).

join domain.png

for the configmgr client step, select the configuration manager client package and click next

install confmgr client.png

we are not migrating any data at this point so remove the State capture options

no state migration.png

for Install updates select All Software Updates

all software updates.png

and for Add applications, we'll add a new app (please add it first using this guide) called Winzip 15 (you can download the MSI file from here, and I want to you specify Install for System, whether or not a user is logged on in the Install for User or System step.

winzip15.png

click next through the summary...

and click close at the confirmation screen

summary.png

Repeat the above process for our Windows 7 RTM image

now we have two new Deploy Windows 7 Task Sequences listed

new task sequences.png

Step 4. Deploy the Task Sequence to the All Unknown Computers collection

In Software Library, select Task Sequences, select our Deploy Windows 7 Enterprise X64 SP1 Task sequence and right click, choose Deploy (of course you can also select the task sequence and click Deploy from the Ribbon above)

deploy the ts.png

for collection, click browse and select All Unknown Computers

all unknown computers.png

make sure to select the Vnext Distribution point then click next

dp selected.png

for Deployment Settings Purpose, make it available (optional) and place a checkmark in Make available to boot media and PXE

purpose.png

click next through schedule (don't set anything there), and User experience, for Distribution keep the defaults,

dp settings.png

click close at the Deployment completion

deploy summary.png

repeat the above for the Deploy Windows 7 X64 Enterprise Task Sequence.

Step 5. Create a new VM and PXE boot it

Create a new virtual machine and PXE boot it, as the virtual machine is New and New to SCCM 2012, it's considered Unknown and therefore we should see whatever deployments we targetted to the All Unknown Computers collection, you should see the following

new vm pxe boot.png

press F12 to PXE boot, and the boot image starts loading

boot wim loading.png

we'll get prompted for our PXE password, enter it and click next

pxe password prompt.png

and our task sequence menu appears, select Deploy Windows 7 Enterprise X64 SP1 and click next

task sequence menu.png

and our Deployment begins !

deploying Windows 7 ent.png

Ths OS installs...

setup is installing devices.png

our new application Gets installed

install winzip.png

Create another Virtual Machine and PXE boot it, but this time choose Deploy Windows 7 Enterprise X64 and click next.

• Like 1

Hello All,

Please correct me if I am wrong but it seems to me that we installed severalapplications during the build and capture task sequence then we added a new application in the deployment task sequence. When the deployment was completed and the new machine logged on, the only application that appeared to be installed was the one we added during the deploymnt task sequence... It is my understanding that since the first three applications were installed before the capture was completed, they should have been part of the OS image. Am I missing something?

Thank You,

Eric D. Craven

Thank you for your reply! I truely appreciate the hard work you do in creating these instructions. No where else have I found such clear, understandable, and accurate lab instructions. Keep up the great work.

I have verified that the applications that were installed during the capture task sequence are not installed/ They include 7-Zip x64, ConfigMgr 2007 Toolkit V2, and Infrarecorder 0.52 x64 edition. During the build and capture process I verified that all three applications installed correctly.

During the deployment process, I added an additional application;Skype. It is infact the only application that installed correctly on the newly deployed machine. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Eric D. Craven

thanks for the kind words :)

I'd say double check that the captured image is indeed the image you are deploying in your deploy task sequence, perhaps you didn't update your distribution points or something else ?