anyweb

using SCCM 2012 beta 2 in a LAB - Part 9. Deploying Windows 7 Enterprise

I followed all teh docs just fine. I have a working WDS server in my production environment, so I want to use the image I deploy there insode my test environment. So, I copied teh wim file over, imported it, and all looks well. I can PXE boot and select it. Everything seems to be working right until I get the message below. It partitions and formats the C: and then copies the image down and then starts the apply image phase. Everything looks ok, and then it gets to the 5 blue bars and I get a Task Sequence Error. I have researched the error code for a week and can't seem to figure this one out. Why does it deploy fine inside my WDS server, but does not deploy fine here? Any help is very much appreciated as this is a critical piece for us moving to SCCM 2012 when it becomes RTM. Thanks.

post-11641-0-21814600-1318862234_thumb.png

I don't know how to check the smsts.log file. Someone here on campus told me to press F8 to get to it when booting teh failed computer. However, this is a VH, and once it gets past the PXE menu all I get is the BOOTMGR file is missing screen. I have tried pressing F8, Shift-F8 at all different times during the boot process to no avail. As for the binary differentual being enabled; yes the checkbox is checked on the Operating System Image on teh Data Source tab.

Sorry, I found another post of yours in the forums which pointed me in teh right direction. I was skipping the Win PE boot part. I have since gotten in, and have a command prompt up and a drive mapped to my server and successfully copied the sms log file. So, I have started the imaging process again, and when I get to that error, I'll just press enter in the command window as I have the copy command ready to go. At that point, I'll try and look over the log, but might need to email you or post it here to get some added help. Thanks again.

Thanks for this great guide!

Couple of questions:

1. Is there a way to deploy an image and during the deployment process ask for "computer name", then use that computer name to join the domain?

1. I was successful at joining the domain; I'd like to be able to 'ask' for a computer name instead of using a random one.

[*]Can I disable the default local 'administrator' account and create a new user and assign local administrator rights to it instead?

Thanks!

These posts are brilliant. I greatly appreciate the information as I have yet to find a step by step tutorial anywhere else like this one. Thank you!

I'm hoping you might have a suggestion for me. Currently we use Altiris and will be moving away from it as soon as SCCM 2012 is released for reasons that I won't mention here....In any case, I have one very clean, basic WIM image that I currently use in Altiris. I have imported it and am able to deploy it thanks to your instructions. The one part where I'm getting hung-up on is that the Microsoft Configuration Manager Client never gets installed. I have it setup as a part of my task sequence like the instructions say and I've evern tried specifying some of the variables such as FSP=sccmserver.sccmtest.com. Any ideas or suggestions on this?

Other than this, I have my demo fully up and running and I'm sold on SCCM. We can't migrate fast enough as far as I'm concerned. Thanks again - James

I guess I answered my own question. I deleted the image, deleted the task and built it all from scratch again and things started working. I don't know why this would have worked as everything looks the same to me but I must have missed some step along the way. Thanks again for these informative posts.

Edit: I realized that I answered too soon. Image deployment works for new systems. Existing systems will image but do no pickup the client. I'm guessing there is something hanging up because of the fact that the system is already showing up in the Configuration Console as an Active Client. I'll keep poking around and post my results if I get this figured out.....

Edited by kubasa