The Bronx Bull

Integrating USMT Hardlinks into TS

Question

I'm at a loss here. I'm trying to develop a solution to use scanstate and loadstate within an SCCM '07 Task Sequence, which basically captures the user state, installs Win7 over XP, and hardlinks the user state back. But I can't even seem to get the scanstate to work properly... I've got them both (scanstate + loadstate) working within the XP OS just fine.

Basically, I've browsed several of the tutorials on here about using hardlinks with an SCCM task sequence, and I'm trying to replicate doing so. Our environment dictates usage of SCCM boot media, and we boot into Windows PE. No PXE boot yet.

First I tried setting the OSDStateStore variable, launching the USMT 4 package, and specifying the AdditionalCaptureOptions with the /hardlink and /nocompress switches, all from the TS. No cigar. I think the task sequence fails because Windows PE cannot provide a domain account to pull the USMT files from the SCCM server.

Second, I tried copying the USMT x86 folder to the Boot Image WIM-file, and using a "Run command" task sequence variable to run "X:\Windows\USMTmain\USMT\scanstate.cmd"

My scanstate.cmd batch file looks like this:

echo off

Rem The following line ignores all profile SSIDs that are absent an ntuser.dat file but still existent in the registry

SET MIG_IGNORE_PROFILE_MISSING=1

scanstate C:\migdata /i:miguser.xml /i:migapp.xml /uel:60 /nocompress /hardlink

This fails because it tells me I need to use the "/offline" command line switch when in PE; scanstate error 36 is specified in the log.

Third, I specify the /offline command line switch in the batch file, and am left with: Scanstate return code 11, Undefined or incomplete command line option. It shows the error as being my /offline command switch.

At this point, I've stopped using the task sequence to test, and have started to just manually execute items from the prompt, so I can get my error messages a bit quicker. On paper, it seems like everything I'm doing should work... it's just PE that is the problem. The scanstate.cmd batch file works perfectly from within the OS, and hardlinks the data to C:\migdata

Lastly, I tried copying the USMT files directly to the C drive of the XP OS, and running them from the PE prompt. Same as above.

My questions are:

1) Why can I not do a "cd c:\" within the Windows PE command prompt? Why does it open up defaulting to X:\Windows\System32 (probably because that's where the cmd.exe is launching from - but I've seen screenshots of people using the F8 command support from a TS and getting a prompt that defaults to C).

2) What more is there to know about the /offline switch? Do I need to add to it?

3) Each time a boot image is modified within SCCM, does new boot media need to be created to go with it?

Thanks guys, in advance; I just found this forum and I have a feeling it's going to be very helpful, and I'd like to contribute.

4 answers to this question

1. WinPE always uses the X -drive, so from a prompt you will only see X:. At the point of your Task Sequence when an OS has been applied, the Task Sequence will run in FullOS. At this point if you press F8 you will be able to use C:

2. If you want to capture userdata ofline (which means during WinPE) then you should use /offline.

3. No, but in general you create a new bootimage because you add new drivers and you will probably need these drivers to boot a machine. At the point that you want to boot those machine with your boot media, you need to update it with the latest bootimage (because of the drivers).

I'm all set, thanks!

1) Why can I not do a "cd c:\" within the Windows PE command prompt? Why does it open up defaulting to X:\Windows\System32 (probably because that's where the cmd.exe is launching from - but I've seen screenshots of people using the F8 command support from a TS and getting a prompt that defaults to C).

In order to perform a change directory from the Windows PE command prompt, which defaults to the X drive, you simply need to type "C:" to change drives; using "cd c:\" will not work.

2) What more is there to know about the /offline switch? Do I need to add to it?

The offline switch needs to be run based on this syntax: /offlinewindir:c:\windows

3) Each time a boot image is modified within SCCM, does new boot media need to be created to go with it?

Yes, each time a boot image is modified, the boot media needs to be updated, since it references the boot image upon creation.