BRO-T

Issues with PXE boot

Question

HI there,

I have just got working PXE boot working again after having to remove the PXE service point and WDS. I also upgraded to SCCM R3

PXE is working, I have built 3 machines by importing the computer information and 1 machine as an "unknown computer"

The issue I’m having is that it took a long time for these machines to obtain the image advertisement. Bt this i mean, the 1st machine (All brand new from DELL) picked up the advertisement first time.

2nd machine I kept getting abortpxe.com (i followed the guide to resolve this, still nothing) then after about 30minutes it decided to install.

Same for the 3rd machine.

The 4th machine (unknown computer) worked first time, yet the 2nd attempt with a different machine i got the same.

It seems like i can only PXE boot 1 machine at a time. Is this correct? I'm under the impression i could build multiple machines at once??

3 answers to this question

ahhh, does that mean you can only re try the same machine after 60 minutes unless you restart the service? Or is it 60 minutes per PXE boot?

Another thing that has sprung to mind is this, if your rebuilding a machine that SCCM knows about, you have to remove it first from SCCM otherwise it sees the mac address and chooses not to allow the PXE boot.

Will simply deleting the client from SCCM fix this, or is there a clean up task/command to do this quickly?

ahhh, does that mean you can only re try the same machine after 60 minutes unless you restart the service? Or is it 60 minutes per PXE boot?

Another thing that has sprung to mind is this, if your rebuilding a machine that SCCM knows about, you have to remove it first from SCCM otherwise it sees the mac address and chooses not to allow the PXE boot.

Will simply deleting the client from SCCM fix this, or is there a clean up task/command to do this quickly?

If the PC has already been imaged using SCCM. Just drug to the proper collection with the advert. If it's the same collcetion, clear last PXE advert to rerun the imaging using PXE. Also some machines get's marked as obsolete. Make sure you delete it them from you SCCM.

Hope this helps