PitbullTerje

Upgrade from SCCM 2007 Sp1 R2, MDT 2008 to SP2 R3 MDT 2010

Hello,

me and my colleague have been handed a client environment for a customer that wants to move from XP to Win7 and I have some questions regarding updating servers & clients to sccm 2007 sp2 r3.

The environment looks like this at the moment:

1 central server running SCCM 2007 SP1 R2, 4.00.6221.1000, MDT 2008, Server 2008

50 secondary sites running SCCM 2007 SP1 R2, 4.00.6221.1000 client, server 2008

1500 clients running SCCM 2007 SP1 R2, 4.00.6221.1000 client, Windows XP SP3

We are going to use the same server for deploying Win7, but the exact details of the deployment plan haven't been decided on(site for site migration etc).

The first step in this migration plan is to prepare the central system for deployment of win7, so i guess we have to update from SCCM 2007 SP1 R2, 4.00.6221.1000 to SCCM 2007 SP2 R3. I´ve found some guidelines regarding this this update and it seems that we have to do the update in 2 steps. First Upgrade from SP1 to SP2, and then from SP2 to R3.

But do i need to do this on Central server, Secondary sites & Clients? Or can i upgrade the central server only to be able to start working on a Task sequence for Win7?

Or do i need to update the secondary sites and client as well?

I dont want to interrupt or cause any problems with the running XP environment during my laborations and preparation for the deployment of Win7. So im basically wondering if a XP Client running SP1 R2, 4.00.6221.1000, can talk with a central SCCM server running SCCM2007 SP2 R3? Can it still receive updates advertised to the client?

And does this apply to the secondary sites as well? Can they "talk" with a central server running SP2 R3?

If I want to update MDT 2008 to MDT 2010, what will happen to any existing task sequences etc for XP?

For the sp1 to sp2 upgrade i was planning on following this guide: http://myitforum.com...p2-upgrade.aspx

And for the R3 upgrade i was planning on following this guide: http://ckrim.blogspo...tion-howto.html

Do you think this is a good plan and is there anything more that i need to take into consideration? The important thing is that i dont want to mess with the existing XP environment and cause any problems in it.

I´m still a SCCM rookie, so be gentle ;)

Thanks in advance!