a4r0

MDT 2010 Windows 7 invalid product key in unattend answer file

Question

I was wondering if someone could help me, ive created a reference build of windows 7 32bit Enterprise using mdt 2010 on windows 2008 r2 x64bit . ive captured the image but when i deploy it, its says

"The unattend answer file contains an invalid product key. either remove the invalid key or provide a valid product key in the unattend answer file to proceed with windows installation."

i dont remember inserting the product key how would i go about solving this problem.

ive tried to go into WSIM and create a answer file, but it keeps crashing, i read that the 64bit version of WAIK doesnt support 32bit win7, and that there was a waik suppliment which i extracted and copied over to the location.

but i still cannot get it working.

i would like to know how would i mount the wim image and inject the file and where would i find the location to place it....

any help would be greatly appreciated.

3 answers to this question

I just dealt with this for several days last week. Are you using a VLK, MAK or KMS key? The link below really helped me out. Read over it thoroughly and then pick which option you would like to try. I chose #2 and it worked. It has about 4 different options to try:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/deploymentguys/archive/2009/03/30/deploying-windows-7-vl-with-mak-multiple-access-keys-using-mdt-2010.aspx

I dont specify my product key in the actual built in task sequence, instead I add 2 tasks below the Tattoo section of the State Restore Phase.

Add - command line

Name - Register Windows Product Key

Command Line - cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX (Where XXXX etc is your product key)

Add another below that:

Add - command line

Name - Activate Windows

Command Line - cscript %windir%\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

So not only do I specify a product key, I also activate it as part of the state restore phase.

Hope this helps!

Aaron.