rwle

Deploy Windows XP - not finishing the Task Sequence

Question

Greetings! I have been working with SCCM 2007 R3 (Windows 2008 server) for almost 2 years. We have capture Windows 7 x86 images without issues and install them in about 300 computers without issues but now because of an application that will not run in Windows 7 (Avaya CTI), we need to create a base image for Windows XP SP3. Here is what I have accomplished so far:

* Create the base windows xp image (including Office 2007 and all windows updates)

* Capture the base image and added to SCCM

* Create a new Task Sequence for this image

* Advertise it and run it on a new bare metal computer (HP 8200 EUSD)

- The process starts and install the image correctly

- Run the process of conecting the computer to the domain

- After, restarts and stop for me to log in to the computer without installing all other apps from the Task Sequence

At first, try to connect to the computer using my domain account but the computer told me that could not log me in because it the domain was not available. When I verify the AD the computer was created and added, had to remove it and added it again for the computer to see the domain.

Now I am stock here, any suggestions or recomendations?

7 answers to this question

SMSTS.log file please, as well as a screenshot of your task sequence.

• Are you using the network service account to join to the domain?
  • Are you asking the TS to join the domain via the task sequence "Apply Network Settings" step?
  • Is the image sysprepped and are you integrating a sysprep.inf file in the "Apply Operating System" step?

SMSTS.log file please, as well as a screenshot of your task sequence.

• Are you using the network service account to join to the domain? YES
  • Are you asking the TS to join the domain via the task sequence "Apply Network Settings" step? YES
  • Is the image sysprepped and are you integrating a sysprep.inf file in the "Apply Operating System" step? The image is all ready sysprep but I have not integrate a sysprep.inf file!

You're going to have to attach your task sequence xml file; it doesn't seem to import when it's all fragmented. And more importantly, do you have the smsts.log? It should be at C:\Windows\System32\CCM\logs\smstslog.

I have attached the xml TS in the initial post. The smstslog is not showing, the only files that are on that folder are smscliui.log and PolicyAgentProvider.log (i will attached them just in case).

Ok - this definitely looks like a network driver issue. I see you have a step in your task sequence to "Install Network Driver;" what is the purpose of that step? All drivers should be located in the driver pool, and the Apply Device Drivers step should take care of the rest. After the task sequence is finished, do you have network connectivity? Are all drivers installed in device manager?

When you say the image is sysprepped, do you mean that sysprep.exe was run from the C:\Sysprep folder without a sysprep.inf file? Or did you perform a build and capture from SCCM? You've got a lot of variables going on here - and I definitely think it's a conflict of interest in perhaps the XP sysprep trying to install drivers conflicting with the SCCM TS.

One XP log file that I used to use to troubleshoot driver installations was "setupapi.log", which is located in C:\Windows I believe. I'm not sure if it'll even be there, however, since you're using the SCCM portion to install the drivers.

What I would do is disable a bunch of steps from your task sequence, and narrow down which step is halting it. The smsts.log file will help tremendously in this area, and is by far the best way to troubleshoot a TS.

Also, read this thoroughly and see if you're missing anything:

http://scug.be/blogs...-sccm-2007.aspx

As for the smsts.log, use this list to locate it:

• WindowsPE, before HDD format:

x:\windows\temp\smstslog\smsts.log

• WindowsPE, after HDD format:

x:\smstslog\smsts.log and copied to c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Logs\Smstslog\smsts.log

• Full version windows, before SCCM agent installed:

c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Logs\Smstslog\smsts.log

• Full version windows, after SCCM agent installed:

c:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\Smstslog\smsts.log

• Full version x64 windows, after SCCM agent installed:

c:\windows\sysWOW64\ccm\logs\Smstslog\smsts.log

• After Task Sequence has finished running

c:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\smsts.log

• After Task Sequence has finished running(x64)

c:\windows\sysWOW64\ccm\logs\smsts

Ok - this definitely looks like a network driver issue. I see you have a step in your task sequence to "Install Network Driver;" what is the purpose of that step? This was to make sure that connected to the LAN.

All drivers should be located in the driver pool, and the Apply Device Drivers step should take care of the rest. After the task sequence is finished, do you have network connectivity? YES

Are all drivers installed in device manager? YES

When you say the image is sysprepped, do you mean that sysprep.exe was run from the C:\Sysprep folder without a sysprep.inf file? YES, the image was created on a computer and later run the capture CD. When I do this with Windows 7 it runs smoothly without problems but when I did the same in Windows XP I had to extract the sysprep.exe file from the Windos XP cd and copy it to the C:\Sysprep of the computer that was been capture. I check this and it does not includes the sysprep.inf (how can I create one?)

Or did you perform a build and capture from SCCM? Yes, without the build.

You've got a lot of variables going on here - and I definitely think it's a conflict of interest in perhaps the XP sysprep trying to install drivers conflicting with the SCCM TS.

One XP log file that I used to use to troubleshoot driver installations was "setupapi.log", which is located in C:\Windows I believe. I'm not sure if it'll even be there, however, since you're using the SCCM portion to install the drivers.

What I would do is disable a bunch of steps from your task sequence, and narrow down which step is halting it. The smsts.log file will help tremendously in this area, and is by far the best way to troubleshoot a TS. I will try to do this next.

Also, read this thoroughly and see if you're missing anything:

http://scug.be/blogs...-sccm-2007.aspx

As for the smsts.log, use this list to locate it:

• WindowsPE, before HDD format:

x:\windows\temp\smstslog\smsts.log

• WindowsPE, after HDD format:

x:\smstslog\smsts.log and copied to c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Logs\Smstslog\smsts.log

• Full version windows, before SCCM agent installed:

c:\_SMSTaskSequence\Logs\Smstslog\smsts.log

• Full version windows, after SCCM agent installed:

c:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\Smstslog\smsts.log

• Full version x64 windows, after SCCM agent installed:

c:\windows\sysWOW64\ccm\logs\Smstslog\smsts.log

• After Task Sequence has finished running

c:\windows\system32\ccm\logs\smsts.log

• After Task Sequence has finished running(x64)

c:\windows\sysWOW64\ccm\logs\smsts

See here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

You need to either sysprep the image properly and then capture only, or you can simply do a build and capture in an SCCM task sequence, which syspreps it for you.

If you're having trouble integrating the image into SCCM, then simply get it working with the ImageX tool before you move onto a task sequence.