The Bronx Bull

Windows 7 SP1 Packaging

Question

Has anyone successfully packaged and deployed the Windows 7 Service Pack 1 MSI with SCCM? I packaged the MSI file, created a program, and used the following command:

Windows_Win7SP1.msi /unattend /norestart

When integrating this package into a task sequence, however, it does nothing but halt the TS and "Waiting for status on job."

4 answers to this question

I would be more inclined to create a reference image from a Windows 7 build with integrated SP1, rather than install it as part of a task sequence. You can download Windows 7 SP1 from the Microsoft Partner website.

If you already have a WIM file that you want to keep using unfortunatley its not supported to use the dism tool to inject SP1 into your WIM, but you could use the standard two stage reference build process in SCCM to build from your existing WIM, apply SP1 manually and then capture the WIM for use in the production environment.

I'd suggest there's something not right with your MSI, but if you want to install from the .exe you can use windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe /unattend /nodialog

Using windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe /? from a command prompt will give you all available options.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I'm going to rebuild a base image using the Windows 7 installation files with SP1 pre-integrated. I don't see a point in keeping an entire service pack outside of the WIM.

Do you play Gears of War 3?

Haha, why yes I do! Feel free to add me as a friend on live and we'll get some games in. I've finished the campaign once, am going through it again (with my brother this time) and am also really enjoying the new Horde mode.. the tactics side of things is excellent.