Althol81

Multiple PXE on same subnet

Hi everyone,

Scenario:

a SCCM solution an a Wyse Streaming Manager solution coexisting on the same subnet.

Problem is that both these soulution is using PXE.

Wyse Streaming Manager is a system for streaming OS to Wyse thin clients. And in my case this have to coexist on the same subnet where I want to deploy OS and software to thick clients (laptops and desktops)

Is there a solution for making this sceanrio work? As you can see my laptops need to get their PXE to boot into SCCM and the thin clients to boot into the Wyse Streaming manager.

There's a headache for ya! At least for me.. :-)

Andreas

Hello Andreas

It is possible to "hack" the PXE solution, so it will give you a PXE boot menu where you can choose from what PXE solution you would like to boot from.

Not supported of course, but possible. I can send you some information if this is something you might consider.

Also. You can configure a delay:

By default, the Configuration Manager 2007 PXE service point is configured to respond immediately to network PXE requests. You can configure a delay when setting up the PXE service point if there are multiple PXE servers on your network so that the Configuration Manager 2007 PXE service point will wait the specified amount of time before responding to network PXE requests.

Most certainly interesting, Sir!

Clearly not "best practise" but will check it out.

How about not activating unknown computer support i SCCM? That way maybe Wyse Streaming Manager will grab the request.

Wyse Streaming Manager also needs MAC-adresses to be "imported" prior to booting into PXE. If I then import the computer into SCCM and not in Wyse, then SCCM will grab it instead of Wyse.

Actually, maybe the whole thing is solved by not activating "unknown computer support" in SCCM.

Things to do check out in the lab! :)

Andreas