The Bronx Bull

OSD and Windows 7 Visual Effects

Question

What is the "best practice" for deploying Windows 7 with restricted visual effects within the OS, so as to optimize performance on older hardware? Is this done through GPO, or do the changes have to be made on the image?

post-11371-0-08767100-1317652523_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

I am not quite sure but I think sysprep also will remove visual settings and give you a standard setup. At least for example the Aero feature will need the Experience Index to be run after deployment even If you enable it in your reference image.

Not that I've found - the screenshot above is from a freshly imaged PC using a Windows 7 Base Image task sequence. The reference operating system was from a Build and Capture (which integrates the sysprep/oobe process) and an unattend.xml config file was referenced in the deployment as well.

you can select the performance settings and apply it through Group policy.On the DC open the GPMC and create a new policy. Under user configuration select the windows settings, select the registry, rightclick registry and new -> registry wizard -> and do the changes

All the settings can be found in the following path:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects