AkumaUk

How can I deploy Office 2010 using SCCM 2012?

Question

I'm starting to use SCCM 2012 and have to say I'm really impressed. There are a few things that really bug me, and one of those has presented me with an issue I'd like some advice on.

SCCM2012 uses 'Applications' rather than packages to deliver content to a user or device based on certain circumstances, which is very useful.

However, 'Applications' only understand apps that are installed via .MSI files, App-V files, etc. You can't use .exe files. And this is where it comes unstuck, because as we know, the best way to install Office 2010 is to use "setup.exe /adminfile.. /config.."

So my question is do I:

A: Create a 'Package' (old method) and use that for deploying Office during OSD AND also to Users when required

B: Create a 'Package' for OSD AND an 'Application' for Users/Devices (from App-V package, perhaps?)

C: Another method I haven't considered?

What's the general consensus? Thanks!

10 answers to this question

Hi

This worked for me....but I am still running with the old convention by creating a package.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2011/08/13/deploying-office-2010-with-configuration-manager-2012-beta-2.aspx

Creating it the application way seemed not to activate office automatically it still looked to be activated once launched for the first time (no big deal) but I like to not have to go near a machine after OSD or package advertisement so the package solution works best for me, plus you have to be logged in as admin to activate office this way which means a standard user will be prompted every time they use any app of the office suite.

Although it is as a bit of a pain when creating a new task sequence there is no wizard for adding packages like SCCM 2007 there is only a Application wizard, so one has to edit the task sequence to add the packages.

The way I have defeated this is by configuring each device collection with baseline variables from the packages and creating a custom task sequence which adds multiple packages and entering in the baseline variable. I then test this custom TS and if successful I just add it to my OSD task sequence.

There is a bit of work configuring the device collections initially but worth it in the long run, plus I have read somewhere that it is better to deploy software to computer collections than users (This may have been the case in 2007 not sure about 2012?)

Hope it helps!!

The old instructions for creating a package still apply, just make sure you specify the msi in the programs properties or else you'll have a bad time. I havent found a clean way of deploying it as an application -- yet. I will post a guide on this when I get a chance.

I'm starting to use SCCM 2012 and have to say I'm really impressed. There are a few things that really bug me, and one of those has presented me with an issue I'd like some advice on.

SCCM2012 uses 'Applications' rather than packages to deliver content to a user or device based on certain circumstances, which is very useful.

However, 'Applications' only understand apps that are installed via .MSI files, App-V files, etc. You can't use .exe files. And this is where it comes unstuck, because as we know, the best way to install Office 2010 is to use "setup.exe /adminfile.. /config.."

So my question is do I:

A: Create a 'Package' (old method) and use that for deploying Office during OSD AND also to Users when required

B: Create a 'Package' for OSD AND an 'Application' for Users/Devices (from App-V package, perhaps?)

C: Another method I haven't considered?

What's the general consensus? Thanks!

You can use .exe for Applications. You just need to choose the option that says, "Manually specify the application information" on the first page of the Create Application Wizard.

I am working on getting Office 2010 deployed this way with customization's and will post back here with my results.

Creating it the application way seemed not to activate office automatically it still looked to be activated once launched for the first time (no big deal) but I like to not have to go near a machine after OSD or package advertisement so the package solution works best for me, plus you have to be logged in as admin to activate office this way which means a standard user will be prompted every time they use any app of the office suite.

I fixed this by adding a value to the unattended installation file(.MSP) with "Setup.exe /admin". Just follow one of the above guides, and add this extra line to it. It will automatically activate the products!

office.png

Just don't forget to update your Distribution Points.

Here is a walk through on deploying Office as an Application:

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/How-to-Deploying-Office-0f954e7f

and here is a guide on deploying an exe as an Application:

http://tjindarr.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/deploy-exe-files-as-a-msu-deployment-type/

I use both in our environment for Office 2010/2013 and Firefox respectively.