Question

In the past we made our images on VMs and with imagex. I created a Winxp with SP2 without updates and additional ms little apps.

Now we are making the images with the sccm build, manually adding scripts, and then capturing the image with sccm by advertisement. It's Winxp with SP3, updates and little ms apps.

The problem is that I deployed that newest images and everything works untill the first reboot, it stops with a BSOD and error STOP 0x0000007 which indicates a AHCI (sata controller driver) problem. The weird thing is that it doesn't need a sata controller. It's the newest Dell Optiplex 390.

These are the two controller in XP: VEN_8086&DEV_1C00 & VEN_8086&DEV_1C08

Intel® 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller

My old xp with SP2 does work on the same machine. The newest xp with SP3 doesn't work. I looked over the properties of the 2 wim images:

XP with SP2: HAL Type: acpiapic_mp

XP with SP3: HAL Type: ACPI Uniprocessor PC

Could there be my problem? In the HAL type?

3 answers to this question

XP doesnt support major HAL changes, this will lead to BlueScreen. Like Sata changes, or CPU Singel/multi core changes. This can not change from the system captured to the system deployed. Is my understanding.

I think the HAL is the same on both machines, they are showing up as multi-processor HALs so it must be something else. I think it is the SATA/AHCI drivers that are causing the issues, how do you address the SATA/AHCI drivers when you sysprep the image? On my really old machines I have to add the SATA/AHCI drivers manually and add some extra lines to the sysprep file before I do the actual sysprep. With the newer machines I do this through SCCM but in these machines there is a AHCI mode in the BIOS but the earlier machines don't have this so I do it through sysprep. The last post in this thread shows how I got rid of the blue-screens and the same error you got... http://www.windows-n...n-all-machines/

Sorry, after reading through your post again you are working with new machines so you will need to force the SATA/AHCI driver through SCCM. I wish I had a good link that would describe what I mean but within your Task Sequence you will need create a driver package with your SATA/AHCI drivers and then use a WMI Query to check for your target machine. In your driver package you would match the driver and model and push this to your machine. The first paragraph would deal with the early machines and this one would do the newer machines.