MrEclipseguy

Not able to reach WDS Server to capture image

Question

Hi all,

I've been trying to get my WDS server up and running for some time now, and have had some success. I was able to load WDS in native mode as I had not had any previous imaging tools in use on the server ie. RIS... I worked through getting the boot and capture images loaded and working, also got a master image built and syspreped. I was then able to capture it up to the WDS server, again after the learning curve in my head.. Everything was great, then I got some new desktop hardware. Went from a Dell Optiplex 745 to a 755. When I tried to throw an image on it the same one I used for the 745's it came back and said the nic driver was not compatible. So I figured I needed to inject the driver to the boot and capture image. I have now successfully done that through WinPE, but when I go to capture the image, I select to put it straight to the WDS server and it sits there trying to connect for several minutes then comes back and tells me it can't. I'm a small shop, so I can afford the time to mess with things, but It's getting frustrating that I cannot get this thing working smoothly. Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be offered

ok mike

i'll try and do a howto on adding drivers to a wds boot.wim used for DEPLOYING images, as i think this is where you have made a mistake

if you can capture the image but cannot deploy the same image then we must update boot.wim for the DEPLOYMENT boot.wim

if you are willing I can do a remote desktop session with you (time willing)

if you want to try this then let me know

cheers

anyweb

ok mike

i'll try and do a howto on adding drivers to a wds boot.wim used for DEPLOYING images, as i think this is where you have made a mistake

if you can capture the image but cannot deploy the same image then we must update boot.wim for the DEPLOYMENT boot.wim

if you are willing I can do a remote desktop session with you (time willing)

if you want to try this then let me know

cheers

anyweb

I've been able to image and deploy, but only with the Optiplex 745. I've not been able to image or deploy for that matter since I can't even get a good image of the Optiplex 755's

I think the issue lies with the 755's. Drivers, a setting, or something that will not allow it to talk on the network through PXE.

I don't think it's an issue with getting the drivers injected, but maybe getting the RIGHT driver injected.

the optiplex 755 came in a few different versions (vpro or not) so it could have an intel or broadcom nic, is yours an Optiplex 755 vpro ? what is the nic listed as in the device manager ?

what driver did you attempt to update windows PE with ? the vista or xp version ?

if i had one i'd test it here but i dont sorry.

the optiplex 755 came in a few different versions (vpro or not) so it could have an intel or broadcom nic, is yours an Optiplex 755 vpro ? what is the nic listed as in the device manager ?

what driver did you attempt to update windows PE with ? the vista or xp version ?

if i had one i'd test it here but i dont sorry.

Well I plugged in the Service tag and it brought me to the same link you had posted, which is where I downloaded the Intel drivers from. Even talked to a Dell tech and he also said I had the correct driver. that being the E1e5132.inf XP version which is also the driver listed within the device manager prior to prepping the built machine that was previously on the network and working fine. He also recommended updating the BIOS which I have done. Getting ready to try Dell tech support again to see if I can get any further with them, even though they say WDS imaging is not something they support, which I understand, but if their hardware/drivers are not compatible I think it's something they need to address.

does your optiplex have a vpro sticker on the chassis ? if not maybe you need to be using the broadcom driver s

can you check that please.. or verify what the nic is called in device manager

cheers

does your optiplex have a vpro sticker on the chassis ? if not maybe you need to be using the broadcom driver s

can you check that please.. or verify what the nic is called in device manager

cheers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Intel_Core_2_Duo.png

Nic is Intel 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network Connection

Driver that is installed during the initial build is the E1e5132.inf which Dell lists as the R162323 package on its site.

I'm convinced that I need another driver I just don't know which one at this point. Are you thinking the same?

hi Mike

the driver is correct, please let me try to update my boot.wim with the driver and supply you with that boot.wim file, i'd be very interested to see if that works

as soon as i get the time to do this i will (soon)

cheers

anyweb

hi Mike

i've now updated my wim file (the capture wim) with the driver for Dell Optiplex 755, please download it, add it into your WDS boot images and then tell me does it work for you, if it does work, then I will also make these changes to the deploy wim file.

Please download the updated WIM from here (121mb in size)

For your reference here are the commands I used to add the driver after disabling the WIM in WDS.

Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790]

© Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>"c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\copype.cmd" x86 c:\windowspe-x86

===================================================

Creating Windows PE customization working directory

c:\windowspe-x86

===================================================

1 file(s) copied.

1 file(s) copied.

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\bcd

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\boot.sdi

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\bootfix.bin

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\etfsboot.com

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\fonts\chs_boot.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\fonts\cht_boot.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\fonts\jpn_boot.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\fonts\kor_boot.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf

9 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\bcd

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\chs_boot

.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\cht_boot

.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\jpn_boot

.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\kor_boot

.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\wgl4_boo

t.ttf

6 File(s) copied

1 file(s) copied.

1 file(s) copied.

Success

Updating path to include peimg, cdimage, imagex

c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\

c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\..\x86

C:\windowspe-x86>Imagex /info "D:\remoteinstall\boot\x86\images\windows-noob_cap

ture-(2).WIM"

ImageX Tool for Windows

Copyright © Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

WIM Information:

----------------

GUID: {5f5555ef-7031-4df2-8a10-6bfa6f2ced8e}

Image Count: 1

Compression: LZX

Part Number: 1/1

Boot Index: 1

Attributes: 0x8

Relative path junction

Available Image Choices:

------------------------

<WIM>

<TOTALBYTES>118564993</TOTALBYTES>

<IMAGE INDEX="1">

<NAME>Windows Vista/XP WDS capture</NAME>

<DESCRIPTION>WDS to capture images from windows-noob.com</DESCRIPTION>

<WINDOWS>

<ARCH>0</ARCH>

<PRODUCTNAME>Microsoft« Windows« Operating System</PRODUCTNAME>

<PRODUCTTYPE>WinNT</PRODUCTTYPE>

<PRODUCTSUITE></PRODUCTSUITE>

<LANGUAGES>

<LANGUAGE>en-US</LANGUAGE>

<DEFAULT>en-US</DEFAULT>

</LANGUAGES>

<VERSION>

<MAJOR>6</MAJOR>

<MINOR>0</MINOR>

<BUILD>6000</BUILD>

<SPBUILD>16386</SPBUILD>

</VERSION>

<SYSTEMROOT>WINDOWS</SYSTEMROOT>

</WINDOWS>

<DIRCOUNT>622</DIRCOUNT>

<FILECOUNT>3558</FILECOUNT>

<TOTALBYTES>334569687</TOTALBYTES>

<CREATIONTIME>

<HIGHPART>0x01C89AF3</HIGHPART>

<LOWPART>0x1DB1225C</LOWPART>

</CREATIONTIME>

<LASTMODIFICATIONTIME>

<HIGHPART>0x01C89AF4</HIGHPART>

<LOWPART>0x632481B6</LOWPART>

</LASTMODIFICATIONTIME>

<WDS>

<VERSION>1</VERSION>

</WDS>

</IMAGE>

</WIM>

C:\windowspe-x86>Imagex /mountrw D:\remoteinstall\boot\x86\images\windows-noob_c

apture-(2).WIM 1 c:\mount

ImageX Tool for Windows

Mounting (RW): [D:\remoteinstall\boot\x86\images\windows-noob_capture-(2).WIM, 1

] ->

[c:\mount]

Successfully mounted image (RW).

C:\windowspe-x86>peimg /inf="C:\dell\drivers\R162323\WinXP_2K\E1e5132.inf" c:\mount

Preinstallation Environment Image Setup Tool for Windows

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Installing INF package: C:\dell\drivers\R162323\WinXP_2K\E1e5132.inf

PEIMG completed the operation successfully.

C:\windowspe-x86>imagex /unmount /commit c:\mount

ImageX Tool for Windows

Unmounting: [c:\mount]...

Successfully unmounted image.

C:\windowspe-x86>

hi Mike

i've now updated my wim file (the capture wim) with the driver for Dell Optiplex 755, please download it, add it into your WDS boot images and then tell me does it work for you, if it does work, then I will also make these changes to the deploy wim file.

Please download the updated WIM from here (121mb in size)

For your reference here are the commands I used to add the driver after disabling the WIM in WDS.

Copied the Wim up to the WDS server and PXE booted the machine I wish to image. Did not see the wim that you created. When looking at the path to where they reside I see a BCD file and log file that are assosiated with each of the other wims. I'm assuming this may be the case for why I cannot see it in PXE?

On another note reading through your details on what you did to inject the drivers, I can say I had the same structure. Only difference is I had a boot index of 2 and not 1, and my total size after the injection is slightly smaller then yours 117,344 for mine 118,606 for yours.