MrEclipseguy

Not able to reach WDS Server to capture image

Question

Hi all,

I've been trying to get my WDS server up and running for some time now, and have had some success. I was able to load WDS in native mode as I had not had any previous imaging tools in use on the server ie. RIS... I worked through getting the boot and capture images loaded and working, also got a master image built and syspreped. I was then able to capture it up to the WDS server, again after the learning curve in my head.. Everything was great, then I got some new desktop hardware. Went from a Dell Optiplex 745 to a 755. When I tried to throw an image on it the same one I used for the 745's it came back and said the nic driver was not compatible. So I figured I needed to inject the driver to the boot and capture image. I have now successfully done that through WinPE, but when I go to capture the image, I select to put it straight to the WDS server and it sits there trying to connect for several minutes then comes back and tells me it can't. I'm a small shop, so I can afford the time to mess with things, but It's getting frustrating that I cannot get this thing working smoothly. Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be offered

ok

i've added the other inf to the wim, and here it is again to test

C:\windowspe-x86>peimg /inf="C:\dell\drivers\R162323\WinXP_2K\E1000325.inf" c:\m

ount

Preinstallation Environment Image Setup Tool for Windows

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Installing INF package: C:\dell\drivers\R162323\WinXP_2K\E1000325.inf

PEIMG completed the operation successfully.

C:\windowspe-x86>imagex /unmount /commit c:\mount

ImageX Tool for Windows

Copyright © Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

Unmounting: [c:\mount]...

Successfully unmounted image.

please test it and let me know are we getting anywhere...

cheers

anyweb

ok

cheers

anyweb

Hey there,

Sorry I have not been able to get to this yet. I'll probably have some time tomorrow to try this one. Just wanted to let you know I had gotten it. Thanks.

ok

cheers

anyweb

No luck. I did contact Dell again and we ran through several things including disabling the MebX (Intel Management Engine BIOS). We also looked at the system setup and turned off "Execute Disable" but we think that should not have had any reason to change or fix the issue, just a thought to try and change that. He suggested that I try and contact Microsoft, which I suppose is an option at this point. I have a few threads already out on the message boards at Microsoft, but no hits yet. I'm stumped.

ok can you confirm thhat you disabled the wim in wds, then imported mine, then re-enabled it then pxe booted the optiplex 755

what happened then ?

ok can you confirm thhat you disabled the wim in wds, then imported mine, then re-enabled it then pxe booted the optiplex 755

what happened then ?

I replaced the first wim that you supplied with the second one. I just copied it to the folder where my wims reside. :huh:

Should that have done the trick?