MrEclipseguy

Not able to reach WDS Server to capture image

Question

Hi all,

I've been trying to get my WDS server up and running for some time now, and have had some success. I was able to load WDS in native mode as I had not had any previous imaging tools in use on the server ie. RIS... I worked through getting the boot and capture images loaded and working, also got a master image built and syspreped. I was then able to capture it up to the WDS server, again after the learning curve in my head.. Everything was great, then I got some new desktop hardware. Went from a Dell Optiplex 745 to a 755. When I tried to throw an image on it the same one I used for the 745's it came back and said the nic driver was not compatible. So I figured I needed to inject the driver to the boot and capture image. I have now successfully done that through WinPE, but when I go to capture the image, I select to put it straight to the WDS server and it sits there trying to connect for several minutes then comes back and tells me it can't. I'm a small shop, so I can afford the time to mess with things, but It's getting frustrating that I cannot get this thing working smoothly. Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be offered

no that's not enough, you must import the wim into WDS by choosing 'add boot image' in the WDS gui

in addition i think we've been using the wrong INF's all along, instead of using the windows xp ones we should be using the vista ones for windows PE....

so i've updated the WIM one last time to include the correct infs (i hope) sorry about this, but as I don't have an Optiplex 755 it's hard for me to test the theory

please download this new WIM and test it, i'm very hopeful that it'll work

here's what I did to put it together,

C:\>"c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\copype.cmd" x86 c:\windowspe-x86

===================================================

Creating Windows PE customization working directory

c:\windowspe-x86

===================================================

1 file(s) copied.

1 file(s) copied.

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\bcd

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\boot.sdi

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\bootfix.bin

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\etfsboot.com

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\fonts\chs_boot.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\fonts\cht_boot.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\fonts\jpn_boot.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\fonts\kor_boot.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\fonts\wgl4_boot.ttf

9 File(s) copied

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\bcd

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\chs_boot

.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\cht_boot

.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\jpn_boot

.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\kor_boot

.ttf

C:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\EFI\microsoft\boot\fonts\wgl4_boo

t.ttf

6 File(s) copied

1 file(s) copied.

1 file(s) copied.

Success

Updating path to include peimg, cdimage, imagex

c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\

c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\..\x86

C:\windowspe-x86>Imagex /info "D:\remoteinstall\boot\x86\images\windows-noob_capture-(2).WIM"

ImageX Tool for Windows

Copyright © Microsoft Corp. All rights reserved.

WIM Information:

----------------

GUID: {5f5555ef-7031-4df2-8a10-6bfa6f2ced8e}

Image Count: 1

Compression: LZX

Part Number: 1/1

Boot Index: 1

Attributes: 0x8

Relative path junction

Available Image Choices:

------------------------

<WIM>

<TOTALBYTES>124214145</TOTALBYTES>

<IMAGE INDEX="1">

<NAME>Windows Vista/XP WDS capture</NAME>

<DESCRIPTION>WDS to capture images from windows-noob.com</DESCRIPTION>

<WINDOWS>

<ARCH>0</ARCH>

<PRODUCTNAME>Microsoft« Windows« Operating System</PRODUCTNAME>

<PRODUCTTYPE>WinNT</PRODUCTTYPE>

<PRODUCTSUITE></PRODUCTSUITE>

<LANGUAGES>

<LANGUAGE>en-US</LANGUAGE>

<DEFAULT>en-US</DEFAULT>

</LANGUAGES>

<VERSION>

<MAJOR>6</MAJOR>

<MINOR>0</MINOR>

<BUILD>6000</BUILD>

<SPBUILD>16386</SPBUILD>

</VERSION>

<SYSTEMROOT>WINDOWS</SYSTEMROOT>

</WINDOWS>

<DIRCOUNT>624</DIRCOUNT>

<FILECOUNT>3589</FILECOUNT>

<TOTALBYTES>343574533</TOTALBYTES>

<CREATIONTIME>

<HIGHPART>0x01C89AF3</HIGHPART>

<LOWPART>0x1DB1225C</LOWPART>

</CREATIONTIME>

<LASTMODIFICATIONTIME>

<HIGHPART>0x01C89EC0</HIGHPART>

<LOWPART>0xD3937568</LOWPART>

</LASTMODIFICATIONTIME>

<WDS>

<VERSION>1</VERSION>

</WDS>

</IMAGE>

</WIM>

C:\windowspe-x86>Imagex /mountrw D:\remoteinstall\boot\x86\images\windows-noob_c
apture-(2).WIM 1 c:\mount

ImageX Tool for Windows

Mounting (RW): [D:\remoteinstall\boot\x86\images\windows-noob_capture-(2).WIM, 1

] ->

[c:\mount]

Successfully mounted image (RW).

C:\windowspe-x86>peimg /inf="C:\dell\drivers\R162323\Vista32\*.inf" c:\mount

Preinstallation Environment Image Setup Tool for Windows

Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Installing INF package: C:\dell\drivers\R162323\Vista32\E1E6032.inf

Installing INF package: C:\dell\drivers\R162323\Vista32\E1G6032.INF

PEIMG completed the operation successfully.

C:\windowspe-x86>imagex /unmount /commit c:\mount

ImageX Tool for Windows

Unmounting: [c:\mount]...

Successfully unmounted image.

C:\windowspe-x86>

the most important line above is this one

ok ?

cheers

anyweb

no that's not enough, you must import the wim into WDS by choosing 'add boot image' in the WDS gui

in addition i think we've been using the wrong INF's all along, instead of using the windows xp ones we should be using the vista ones for windows PE....

so i've updated the WIM one last time to include the correct infs (i hope) sorry about this, but as I don't have an Optiplex 755 it's hard for me to test the theory

C:\>"c:\Program Files\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\copype.cmd" x86 c:\windowspe-x86

C:\windowspe-x86>Imagex /info "D:\remoteinstall\boot\x86\images\windows-noob_capture-(2).WIM"

C:\windowspe-x86>Imagex /mountrw D:\remoteinstall\boot\x86\images\windows-noob_c

ok ?

cheers

anyweb

What is the reasoning for using the Vista drivers over the XP-Win2K drivers? I'm not building/imaging a Vista box.

ok ?

cheers

anyweb

I went back and tried the first wim you created by importing it as you said. Then once it was imported I created a cpture boot image and then another boot image using the capture boot image I created second, and it worked... :o:lol::P

If your available and here in the US, I'd like to call and talk to you regarding this if possible, Let me know. And thanks for sticking with me on this... It is much appreciated.

hi Mike,

so it's all working now ? this is excellent ! did you use my new WIM file at all ? i'd like to know if you tested it and if it worked.

the reason we used the vista drivers was because WDS used the Windows Vista DVD to create the boot.wim file (which gives us windows PE....) and that needed the vista driver not the XP driver.

i actually live in Sweden, Europe and i'm happy to talk about this on the phone if you want or on MSN

either way i'm glad things are working for you now, spread the word !

cheers

anyweb

hi Mike,

so it's all working now ? this is excellent ! did you use my new WIM file at all ? i'd like to know if you tested it and if it worked.

the reason we used the vista drivers was because WDS used the Windows Vista DVD to create the boot.wim file (which gives us windows PE....) and that needed the vista driver not the XP driver.

i actually live in Sweden, Europe and i'm happy to talk about this on the phone if you want or on MSN

either way i'm glad things are working for you now, spread the word !

cheers

anyweb

Did not try the Vista Wim. I just went back to the first wim you created, and tried that again. I'm concerned though becuse I feel that I took the same steps in creating my wim files that you took, so I'm not real sure where it all went wrong. In any case it is working. I suppose I'll try to re-create mine again and see if I can get them working as I have time. Thanks for your time and assistance in getting this working for me. Certainly appreciated. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I now move into the automation side of WDS and all that its capable of. :rolleyes: