anyweb

using SCCM 2012 in a LAB - Part 1. Installation

Sent Today, 11:45 AM

Thanks Any,

Frankly i have Two windows servers presently caputured on my Devices as Active and I used the same push procedure.

funny enogh the last server that came onboard had the windows firewall turned on.

As suggested, I have tried turning off the Windows fire wall on the windows 7 client computer and still no head way.

kindly direct me on where i can find the PARTICULAR LOG for the last push event, that way i will know exactly wat happend.

thanks man

Hello Anny,

Iv been able to get around most of the issues I posted about earlier, thanks for your suggestions and i summarise as follows:

1. RESOLVED : For the Windows 7 Client, problem was with ClientInstall Account being a member of the local Administrators QUESTION ?( How can i achive this using GPO for Go live stage)
  2. RESOLVED : For the Windows XPSP3 Client , problems was windows firewall. QUESTION: WHICH FIREWALL SETTING must i RELAX / ENABLE in windows xp sp3 so as to allow SCCM2012 to function without problems for WINDOWS XP SP3

Your the man

Thanks a million

Eric

For licensing reasons I have to put the database on a different server running SQL 2008 R2 Standard. Sure I could run an evaluation version on a release candidate installation but this has to go live sooner or later. In any case I have to put the database there, and for consistency I also put the WSUS database there.

When I installed SCCM it added my SQL server as one of the SCCM servers, with the database, component server and site system roles. It also added a firewall exception for port 4022; the port exception for SQL itself appeared when I first installed SQL. For some reason the Hierarchy Manager continues to complain that said ports aren't "active." I can telnet to both ports from a remote computer.

Are there any caveats to putting the database on a different server that I've missed? This is going to come up because not everyone has unlimited processor licenses for SQL Server, and SQL Express may only be used on secondary sites.

[16 DEC] I can deploy SCCM and WSUS with an external SQL server without any serious difficulty. I avoided the firewall complaints by creating exceptions on the SCCM server as well as on the SQL server. I managed to resolve my other non-SQL-related problems through other means, as it seems the location of the database makes no difference to those.

RESOLVED : For the Windows 7 Client, problem was with ClientInstall Account being a member of the local Administrators QUESTION ?( How can i achive this using GPO for Go live stage)

Bring up your GPO and browse to Policies, Windows Settings, Security Settings, Restricted Groups and create Administrators. Add members as appropriate, including global groups from your domain. This will overwrite the previous BUILTINAdministrators local group, so you should check the group first and make sure you have its defaults copied into your GPO.

I just cheated and added ClientInstall to the Domain Admins global group for testing, but in practice I wouldn't want to do that.

RESOLVED : For the Windows XPSP3 Client , problems was windows firewall. QUESTION: WHICH FIREWALL SETTING must i RELAX / ENABLE in windows xp sp3 so as to allow SCCM2012 to function without problems for WINDOWS XP SP3

I haven't had to relax any settings. Turns out I had to enable the file and printer sharing exception and remote management exception using Group Policy. As XP doesn't have the advanced firewall that Vista and 7 do, the settings I had to enable were in the Administrative Templates, under Network, Windows Firewall. For Vista and 7 I was able to use the Advanced settings to enable the groups of settings for File sharing and for WMI.

Anyweb, great tutorial as always! ;)

One thing I didn't see in the tuto's was your hyper-v config of all your lab machines (diskspace, ram, cpu network cards,...). I'm new to hyper-v but not sccm and I forced myself to try the 100% MS way without vmware vsphere.

Thanks for your help :)

good question !

i've actually got two ConfigMgr 2012 RC LABS on the go at the moment, one is a standalone server used in doing these guides, and the other is a heirarchy with a CAS and Primary,

here's a screenshot of my HyperV setup

the RED box is the Heirarchy and the Green is the standalone

what details do you want exactly ?

hyperv setup.png

good question !

i've actually got two ConfigMgr 2012 RC LABS on the go at the moment, one is a standalone server used in doing these guides, and the other is a heirarchy with a CAS and Primary,

here's a screenshot of my HyperV setup

the RED box is the Heirarchy and the Green is the standalone

what details do you want exactly ?

The standalone config (green) please :) and if you have time the red one too. You never can't have enough lab info :P