anyweb

using SCCM 2012 in a LAB - Part 1. Installation

Im getting this as a warming

WAIK language version should be same as the OS language of System Center 2012 Configuration Manager site server. For more information on WAIK installation see http://go.microsoft..../?LinkId=206077.

Do I need to install WAIK for Windows 7 ?

I have a SCCM 2007 running with WAIK installad in production, and a SCCM 2012 with WAIK installed in a test lab, but I can not get PXE book to function correctly, so Im doing a re-install of the test lab at the momemt.

I changed all region settings, including Non-unicode, to English (United States) and the problem disappeared. No need to install WAIK, as it will be installed by SCCM

good info, thanks for sharing, what language and/or regional settings on your server did you have when you were trying to do this initially.

OK, so I finally got a chance to uninstall the Beta2 version, and I'm going on the RC version. I must admit, when I did the Beta, I didn't use the accounts you had in Step 1. I just mimicked the accounts we use in production; well at least to a degree anyhow. So this time, I want to use the accounts you state. I Must be missing something somewhere, because when I try and open the ConfigMgr 2012 Console on the SCCM 2012 server as the SMSadmin account, I get the following error:

Insufficient User Permissions to Display Configuration Manager Information

The user account running the Configuration Manager console has insufficient permissions to read information from the Configuration Manager site database. The account must belong to a security role in Configuration Manager. The account must also have the Windows Server Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) Remote Activation permission for the computer running the Configuration Manager site server and the SMS Provider.

Where did I hose this at? I have SMSadmin listed as a member inside the local administrators group on the SCCM 2012 server. Sorry for asking such a basic question, but I am having to look at multiple products at once, and now it seems like they are all blending together and it's hard for me to keep track of what does what and where and why. Thanks for any advice.

my current lab server (work supplied :-)) is a HP EliteBook 8560w Mobile Workstation, 16GB ram, 750gb internal hdd, 1.5tb external usb3 hdd with a soon to be added 256gb ssd via usb 3.

c02715387.png

It works ok but does lag occaisonally, the lag is all disc related, if i had the money i'd be going SSD the whole way

Ok, new issue. I have downloaded the SCCM 2012 RC2 from the link in the guide. I have licensing for SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise, so I installed that version instead of an eval version on my server. I have done all teh updates for my server, and this time, smartly made a snapshot of the VM. So, I'm onto the Install SCCM step. Right after the Microsoft Software License Terms page, I get a Prerequisite Licenses page which shows Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Express, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client and Microsoft Silverlight 4 with the I accept these license terms check box under each. I don't see this in the guide and don't remember seeing this with my Beta 2 install, but I also did the SQL 2008 SP1 install with that one. I have restarted the VM a few times now hoping maybe it was just a a restart.

Have I missed something? This time I have followed the guide to the letter and an logged in currently as the SMSadmin account for the install of SCCM2012 RC2. I'm afraid to check teh boxes as to me it seems like it will install these pieces which I don't need. I also have already install Silverlight 4 and all it's updates. I guess I'm wondering why it didn't detect that I have these prereq's already installed. Any help is appreciated. I see someone else did the same install I have done with R2 and CU4 and it worked for them, so I must have missed something somewhere.