anyweb

using SCCM 2012 in a LAB - Part 1. Installation

good info, did you not see this though, see the Note: ?

Step 11. Install SQL Server 2008

Note: Perform the following on the SCCM 2012 server as SMSadmin

regarding step "Step 4. Delegate Permission to the System Management Container"

Is there any MS/Technet documentation about this delegation? I coudn't find any (looking in the SCCM2012 docs)

Any reference you can point me to?

Hello - I am currently running 2007 on my domain, and I am getting ready to install 2012. I previously delegated permission to the system management container in 2007. I am planning to run side-by-side for the next month or two. If I Delegate Permission to the System Management Container for 2012, what does that do to 2007? I don't even know if it is possible, but if I delegate to my new 2012 server, will that cause a bunch of problems?

Thanks for your help,

Murf

Assuming you will use different servername and sitecode, it will just write it's atributes next to the existing ones. About what it does to your (overlapping) boundaries, you might like this post: http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/post/overlapping-boundaries-and-configmgr-2012/

• Like 1

Thank you Peter. That was exactly what I needed.

Next question...

I will be installing the CAS because in the future I will have multiple campuses that will need primary sites. Do I delegate control of the system management container to the CAS server? I have read in plenty of places that the CAS does not manage clients, so I'm a little confused on this point.

Thanks again for your help!

Murf

EDIT - Just found this in the original post. Note: Repeat the above for Each site server that you install in a Hierarchy.

Edited by Steve Murphy

I'm currently using SCCM 2007 with one primary site and 12 secondary sites at my remote locations. These locations don't need to do anything in SCCM, they just add computers to AD groups for software installation. When upgrading to SCCM 2012, should I keep the same structure or should I have a CAS?