anyweb

using SCCM 2012 in a LAB - Part 2. Add SUP and WDS

URGENT URGENT!! We have been trying to get the SUP role working for 3 days now and have hit a roadblock. Right now all we have is a CAS and 1 primary site. Both are on same subnet. Both are member servers. Not using ssl, Both have WSUS installed on the site servers themselves, pointing to a sql server instance (default for the CAS and named for the primary). NO updates show up the CAS under the software updates at all...so there is nothing to syncronize. I believe it is something with the WSUS website itself, or the communication between WSUS and SCCM.

PLEASE HELP.

The WCM.log on our CAS says System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 503: Service Unavailable.~~ at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.CreateUpdateServer(Object[] args)~~ at Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.AdminProxy.GetUpdateServer(String serverName, Boolean useSecureConnection, Int32 portNumber)~~ at Microsoft.SystemsManagementServer.WSUS.WSUSServer.ConnectToWSUSServer(String ServerName, Boolean UseSSL, Int32 PortNumber).

The wsyncmgr.log on the Primary Site says

"Sync failed: WSUS server not configured. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details.. Source: CWSyncMgr::DoSync AND STATMSG: ID=6703 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER" SYS=server.dummydomain.com SITE=HQ1 PID=1916 TID=3884 GMTDATE=Wed Apr 18 10:20:10.666 2012 ISTR0="CWSyncMgr::DoSync" ISTR1="WSUS server not configured. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details." ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0

Setting up cas and primary can be a lil difficult @ first (took me few tries to get it working). In my testlab case i put both cas and primary wsus as active. I set primary to get updates from cas and it started to work. Replication worked. :( cant remember more details at the moment.

Yes I did install the SUP role on both the cas and the primary..can't figure out what the 503 error is all about. I don't think SCCM actually did the job of configuring WSUS. How do i confirm that WSUS is setup and talking with SCCM, and how long does it normally take for updates to show up on the CAS before they can be synced...

you need to install the SUP role on both the CAS and the Primary, do that first, then perform a manual sync on the CAS.

you must have missed something somewhere, can you double check all the steps i cover and also check your component status logs on both CAS and the Primary.

Is there any particular way of removing the role, other than just remove role from a right click..or is there more of a cleanup process, i only ask, because it seems to keep some of the settings, like the classifications. Also Do i need to uninstall wsus too, before i redo the roles and on both cas and primary, and then run the sync manually like you said on the cas.