anyweb

using SCCM 2012 in a LAB - Part 4. Configuring Client Settings and adding roles

The SC 2012 client won't install on Windows Server 2003 unless BITS 2.5 is installed first. It also appears BITS 2.5 isn't available on Windows Update or the Update Catalog to push out using WSUS, so I had to push it out by hand.

http://mnscug.org/articles/blogs/186-sccm-2012-and-server-2003x64xpx64.html

Fortunately we're not deploying any new 2003 servers.

hello again,

i am trying to do all this with secondary sites.

i have configured client push in my secondary site, however, the secondary site server never tries to install the client. (at least nothing i can see in the logs)

i have correctly configured management points and boundary groups for the secondary site server.

do we need to enable client push at the primary site? is it even possible to enable it only on the secondary site?

for some reason it took just a full day to get things rolling. i have changed nothing, but now everything is installed as excpected. manually uninstalling and "system rediscover" triggers a fresh install on the secondary site server. good!

edit: in the secondary sites "client push installation properties" i can specify "installation properties.

SMSSITECODE=xxx

should i set this to the code of the primary site, or to the secondary site?

help appreciated...

i have tested this intensively. it must be the primary site code, like in sccm2007. specifying the secondary site code will make the clients install, but then not show up as "installed client" in the devices list.

cheers

Seems I failed in below step,

Click on Assets and Compliance and expand Devices, All Systems, you should see that our SCCM server has a client installed but our Domain Controller does not. Right click on the Domain Controller and choose Install Client.

on the DC ,when I check task manager, no ccmsetup starting...

Would you please help me to solve the problem?

Thanks to windows noob for making some great resources for sccm for a noob like me!

I have a client install question. To my knowledge I followed the client deployment directions exactly. I ran the install wizard, and the two other servers in my test lab (Domain controllers) recieved the client without a problem, just as the tutorial said. I had also previously installed two computers in the test lab, one running Windows xp and another running Windows 7. Neither of these machines recieved the client. I feel like I have exhausted various forums, checking issues such as firewall permissions, etc.

What would you suggest I check next?

Would this perhaps be a boundary groups issue?

check the following:-

1. firewall, disabled it as a test on the client.

2. clientinstall account, verify its a member of the Local Administrators group on the client

3. if the above don't help then verify that the boundary group references tab has the site code checked

4. verify the clientinstall password is correctly specified in client push

cheers

niall

Hello Niall, I have done as you suggested in numbers 1-4 above. I still do not see a Yes in the client column under devices for either of the user machines. After running the client install wizard I also carefully watched the task manager on the client machines for the client install process to run and did not see it. What else should I check? Thank you for your help.

verify DNS, on any of the clients do nslookup.

can you ping the fqdn of the Configmgr server ? and vice versa to the clients ?

tell me exactly what steps you are taking to deploy the client ?

DNS is correct on both machines.

I can ping the fqdn back and forth between the client machine and server

To deploy the client I am going to assets and compliance- devices- right clicking the device and choosing "install client" -next- check all three boxes verify my site, next and next to close at the summary screen that says "success..."

One note of interest...the virtual machines that are not receiving the client are in a different data store.