anyweb

how can I setup WDS in Windows Server 2008

Question

Note: If you already have an Active Directory setup and configured DNS then skip to Step 2 (Setup DHCP). If you have already configured AD, DNS and DHCP then please skip to Step 3 (Add the WDS role).

This guide assumes that you have first of all installed Windows 2008 server on your machine and partitioned it as c: (Operating system) and d: (data), note that you can change the partitions after the installation of Windows 2008 server by using disk management and right clicking on a disk and choosing to shrink or extend. This guide is to help you set things up in a LAB. In Production, you have to plan things according to Technet documentation.

disk_management.jpg

Step 1. Setup and configure active directory

Click on Start and choose Server Manager, scroll down to Roles Summary and choose Add Roles.

When the wizard appears click next.

add_role.jpg

As WDS needs the folllowing:-

Active Directory Domain Services, DHCP, DNS, we will add the following role first:-

Active Directory Domain Services

We must install this role first before continuing to add the other roles, so lets select it and click on next.

active_directory_role.jpg

We will then be informed that installing AD requires us to run dcpromo.exe afterwards to make the server a fully functional domain controller. Click install to continue.

active_directory_confirmation.jpg

once done we'll get the success screen

ad_install_success.jpg

click close to continue

Once done the server manager will list our ADDS service with a red X beside it, click on it to run Dcpromo.exe.

adds_needs_dcpromo.jpg

This will open up the Roles section of Server manager, and we'll see a summary which says This server is not yet running as a domain controller. Run the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard (dcpromo.exe).

Click on the blue text to continue.

run_dcpromo.jpg

This will start the Active Directory Domain Services Installation Wizard. Click on next to continue.

ad_install_wizard.jpg

Next we will get a screen telling us that older versions of Windows (pre Vista Sp1 ....) may have problems with a bunch of things including Windows Deployment Services (for more info read KB942564)

Platforms impacted by this change include Windows NT 4.0, as well as non-Microsoft SMB "clients" and network-attached storage (NAS) devices that do not support stronger cryptography algorithms. Some operations on clients running versions of Windows earlier than Vista with Service Pack 1 are also impacted, including domain join operations performed by the Active Directory Migration Tool or Windows Deployment Services.

ad_wiz_warn.jpg

click next to continue

Now we get to choose what type of domain we will setup, and for the purpose of this lab, we will select the second option, Create a new domain in a new forest.

ad_create_new.jpg

next we are prompted for the fully qualified domain name of the forest root domain (eg: corp.contoso.com)

Note: if you have not already given this server a good computername, then cancel this process and do so now. The computername will be prepended to whatever FQDN you enter, so if you enter corp.contoso.com then the FQDN of this domain controller will be AD1.corp.contoso.com

ad domain services installtion.png

after clicking next the wizard will check the validity of the fqdn,

next we get to choose the forest functional level, click the drop down menu and select Windows Server 2008 from the three choices (Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008).

As this is only a test lab, we are not concerned that we can only add Windows 2008 or later servers to this forest.

ad_func.jpg

Clicking next will give some addtional options, leave them as they are (DNS Server selected) and click on Next again.

ad_aditional.jpg

if you get a warning about dynamically assigned ip addresses ignore it (choose yes),

dynamic_ip.jpg

you will most likely get another DNS warning if like me you don't have a Windows DNS server in the forest. Click yes to continue.

dns_error.jpg

Next we are asked where to store the AD database, logfiles and sysvol, stay with the defaults and click next.

ad_logs.jpg

and we are then prompted to set the Directory Services restore mode administrator account password

ad_pass.jpg

finally we get a summary of our actions

ad_summary.jpg

click next to get started

ad_wiz_dns.jpg

after a while you should see the AD wizard complete. Click Finish

ad_wiz_done.jpg

you'll be prompted to restart, so please go ahead and click on Restart Now.

restart.jpg

I am using ghost right now, however I what to move to WDS. I have ghost servers all over the network and cannot get PXE to work. I use these to connet to a 12 TB server that hosts my images. Is there a way to have WDS on these servers w/ rather small hard drives, connet to an image store at a central location.

Thanks for your time.

hi to all,

i just start to learn about sccm ,

i get confused as i thought that i will setup :

1- dc_server (win server 2008r2 + AD + DNS + DHCP)

2- sccm_server (WDS + IIS + SQL+ ........prerequistes....)

but WDS did not start

what is the best practice ?

please !!

Hi - I have very less time in my hand to do configure the WDS package.

as far as I have been aware with the threads about WDS option there is DHCP/DNS Services must be installed where we are going in setup this services, but in here the scenario is different we have already DHCP/DNS server configured is in production on different box ! So it would not be possible to configure the separate DHCP/DNS Services only for this so please advise me what should be the alternate option is to be available ?

Subsequently I would need to deploy the images only of Servers level OS so am just little bit confused how would be concept of RAID that is must being a Server class machine.

I`ll wait your helpfull reply

Hi

Thank you for this excellent guide - it really helped me get WDS up (and running!)

I now want to create a windows XP install image, so I can do a PXE/network installation of XP onto a laptop (which will not boot from optical/cd or usb).

I installed WIndows XP into a VM in Hyper-V. I even found the sysprep stuff on the XP CD - is there any way I can create an XP install image using this setup?

Any help gratefully received!

J

Error in Authorize this Deployment Services Server in DHCP

Hi,

I'm configuring MDT2010 update1 Server & here when I click go to Properties/Advance tab & select "Authorize this Deployment Services Server in DHCP" in DHCP Authorization section it gives me Access Denied Error though I'm admin on the system I also have full access for AD. Can anyone tell me what can be the issue?

Sigh! I gave up on making an XP reference machine inside Hyper-V in order to create an install image. I still think it should be possible, if you can makeXP in VM boot from network, for instance.

I did however manage to get XP install done using WDS by using the VISTA WinPE, which is a bit more flexible (it opens a command prompt and then you can run diskpart, format, net use, etc. a really great admin tool actually!).You boot in Vista WinPE, then net use a share with XP install CD/DVD on WDS server and do [Z:\]I386\winnt32. The only caveat is I had to reformat the HD install partition at winpe command prompt, using diskpart (I formatted as FAT32, as previous NTFS was causing install problems).

helllo boss i tried each and every thing whatever u brought up here....but when i install the window using WDS then on another machine it ask me the password and user name before installing the window.....tell me how can i remove that so that it doesn't ask for the user name and password