anyweb

using SCCM 2012 in a LAB - Part 6. Deploying Software Updates

I am trying to get this setup in a lab for a client and I have a problem when the Updates attempt to download from the internet. They use a proxy server and there is no practical way bypass the proxy server. I know the proxy is the problem. is there some way to configure SCCM to use the proxy address to download the patches. Windows Updater is set to use the proxy. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello everyone.

I'm following this tutorial and I must say it's pretty good. But during this part I got some problems. When you say that in a few minutes there should be some updates downloaded and/or deployed, in my test lab there's no downloaded updates and there should be and since I've setup network so my workstations are cut off of internet (second nic is disabled) they only have connection with dc and sccm. Since you imply to set update point only from sccm I did like you said but my workstations (one to be precise) can't update Endpoint Protection client definitions and also my sccm isn't downloading any (but it can since only my sccm has internet connection) updates from Microsoft so please help me with this. I don't want to skip anything if I don't have to.

BTW. my sccm lab is running in native mode. I've setup the environment like for sccm 2007 native and uptill now everything worked ok.

EDIT:

Oh. Now I found there's an option to force download right away but the outcome of this operations is a failure since I get "Access Denied" error.

I found out why I'm getting Access Denied error while downloading updates from internet.

That was because \\sccm\sources is a share READ-ONLY for everyone.

So I added user SMSadmin with Full-Control permission and that solved the problem.

Dear.

I might have a stupid question.

We have WSUS implemented in the organization and it’s managed through AD GPOs.

We installed SCCM 2012 (thanks to your blog, we solved a lot of issues). We uninstalled all existing WSUS servers. We deleted the WSUS GPOs.

On a new server, we installed WSUS, but did not configure it. On SCCM 2012, we deployed the SUP to this new server. We configured software updates as explained on your site.

The questions I have:

• Do we need to do something in AD or GPO’s for WSUS/SCCM ??? Or will everything completely be managed by SCCM.
  • SCCM found all our clients, software metering is ok, clients ware approved too … but the compliancy status is still be unknown.
  • How can I force a compliance scan on my SCCM clients. The last compliance scan time report is empty, so I supose they never did a compliance scan.
  • When I create a report, all updates are marked as being not approved. Should I somewhere approve the patches before, such as in WSUS?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Peter

I found out why I'm getting Access Denied error while downloading updates from internet. That was because \\sccm\sources is a share READ-ONLY for everyone. So I added user SMSadmin with Full-Control permission and that solved the problem.

Changing the Share settings is what worked for me.

Thanks!

right click on a Software Update Group and choose show members, from there, you can select updates and right click to Edit Membership, that will remove the update(s) from the software update groups