anyweb

using SCCM 2012 in a LAB - Part 6. Deploying Software Updates

as it's a build and capture collection it can be empty (no membership rules)

you can add computers to that collection using a direct membership rule later or by using computer association.

the limiting collection can be All systems or all windows 7 computers, it's up to you.

Thank you!

Thanks guys.

This site is the best of the BEST.

I have one big challenge.

My updates where deploying fine without issues until last or so , was out of office , so i returned to discover that the \sources\Windows 7 \ (downloaded updates for this operating sytem ) updates folders where downloaded but with noting in the folders.

meanwhile previously, the same server has successfully downloaded and deployed Windows
updates for all flavours of microsoft OS.

I confirmed proxy configuration is ok from the WSUScrl.log
file and synchronization with Microsoft upstream servers occurs successfully
from the wsynchmgr.log file.

Only problem is the updates *.msi files don’t drop any
more within the folders referenced in the attached.

The account logged on has proxy access and can browse using
internet explorer on the SCCM2012 Server, its also the Admin account for
SCCM2012

This started about 2 weeks ago.

Please help Champions.

Thanks a bunch..post-13038-0-17518500-1361721443_thumb.png

Thanks guys.

This site is the best of the BEST.

I have one big challenge.

My updates where deploying fine without issues until last or so , was out of office , so i returned to discover that the \sources\Windows 7 \ (downloaded updates for this operating sytem ) updates folders where downloaded but with noting in the folders.

meanwhile previously, the same server has successfully downloaded and deployed Windows
updates for all flavours of microsoft OS.

I confirmed proxy configuration is ok from the WSUScrl.log
file and synchronization with Microsoft upstream servers occurs successfully
from the wsynchmgr.log file.

Only problem is the updates *.msi files don’t drop any
more within the folders referenced in the attached.

The account logged on has proxy access and can browse using
internet explorer on the SCCM2012 Server, its also the Admin account for
SCCM2012

This started about 2 weeks ago.

Please help Champions.

Thanks a bunch..post-13038-0-17518500-1361721443_thumb.png

anyweb, great tutorial! But I must say either I've gone blind or don't understand why SUP is a pain to make life easier. What is it do you look for when the client is not getting the Updates installed? We have an AD Forest using only a Primary Server for SUP role, no childs or secondary, just DP's around the Globe. Basically at the point where the Windows Update Client is showing up in Windows Update history but the updates are not appearing in ccmcache folder (assuming that is where staging area is). I've verified the Local Policy shows the sccm.company.com:80. Updates are packaged and on the DP's without errors. My clients are in Collections where Updates are being Deployed. Enable Software Update Client is set to True with my schedules. What else did i leave out? Only thing I have a question on is the "Enable software update-based client installation is not 'checked'. Is that only for the Global needs if you wanted all your client with it installed? Not sure where that comes to play.

I am a first year "noob" at SCCM so please be gentle, (first post on this Forum). Humor me if you may. :)

Anyone share thoughts are welcomed.

Thanks,

Eric

Hi,

2 questions

1) in a production environment is correct to use BULLETTIN ID=MS? In other words, are all the security patches included in MS bullettins or am i missing something ?

I also would like to know the rationale behind this.

Well I was able to fix the issue "The process is not in background processing mode" by doing the suggested fixes, but it stopped working again this morning. Then after checking logs and reboots and everything seemed fine, then it dawned on me that our local policy applies the proxy back to IE9 connection settings after unchecking it, bam it was all good to go with no issues.

So hope this helps someone form pulling their hair out.

Hi All

First time poster, long time user of these forums and fantastic guides. Anyweb you've done a great job with these. I'm an experienced SMS / SCCM admin and recently our org made the jump to SCCM 2012 SP1 CU3 and over time have been migrating clients to it.

I have an issue in controlling 'end user experience' with relation to updates. My requirements are fairly simple in that I have two main groups of computers for which different behavior is required.

Group 1: General windows workstations - receive updates when made available, install but prompt for reboots

Group 2: Contact Center workstations - receive updates and reboot only during Maint Window. Maint window is 12 hrs (1900-0700) machines wake at 0500 each day.

My approach was to achieve this with one deployment and have Maintenance Window applied to collection for Contact Center handle that requirement for Group 2. From testing this was not an issue and Group 2 behavior was achieved. My SUG deployment setings are:

• Type: Required
  • Scheduling: Deadline set to 1 year in advance
  • User exp: Display and show all notifications
  • User exp: Deadline behavior - none checked
  • Device Restart: Only server checked

However for Group 1 the agent installs the updates and then commences a forced restart countdown (Your computer is about to restart). What I want is a prompt for restart and then at the deadline to force it occurs at that time. The deadline is in the future by weeks. Checking Software Center I can see that the restart is scheduled for the deadline.

Have I missed something here or am experience something abnormal? I have tried to remove any residual policy settings from Automatic Updates during my testing but this has never changed the user experience.

Thanks for any help here you guys can offer.

Tiger

wsyncmgr.log

Sync failed: WSUS update source not found on site P01. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details.. Source: getSiteUpdateSource

STATMSG: ID=6703 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE="SMS Server" COMP="SMS_WSUS_SYNC_MANAGER" SYS=ad.SCCM.local SITE=P01 PID=1612 TID=4884 GMTDATE=Fri Aug 01 16:18:21.943 2014 ISTR0="getSiteUpdateSource" ISTR1="WSUS update source not found on site P01. Please refer to WCM.log for configuration error details." ISTR2="" ISTR3="" ISTR4="" ISTR5="" ISTR6="" ISTR7="" ISTR8="" ISTR9="" NUMATTRS=0

Sync failed. Will retry in 60 minutes

WCM.log

Remote configuration failed on WSUS Server.