anyweb

using SCCM 2012 in a LAB - Part 6. Deploying Software Updates

Hi,

First I wanted to thank you for all the great HOWTOs on SCCM 2012. They have been very helpful and informative. I wanted to run this by you and see if I can get your input. We have an existing WSUS server right now so I wanted to know how we can integrate that with SCCM. I think I would install the basic SCCM configuration on our existing WSUS server and create a software update point, correct? Does it matter if it's already functioning as a WSUS server? From what I've read in your HOWTO, you install the WSUS role on the SCCM server but you don't configure the WSUS role afterward. Instead you configure the software update point in SCCM, correct? I haven't seen any articles on the Net about integrating SCCM with an existing standalone WSUS setup. We also have a similar scenario with our existing WDS server. Would GREATLY appreciate your help.

Regards,
RA

Hi,

for all of you getting the access denied message when making new Software update group, close console and run as administrator. Then it will work.

post-22178-0-43069000-1413198157_thumb.jpg

@Anyweb: just a suggestion you can add to the tutorial if people ran into this problems.

Thanks,

• Like 1

Hi,

i have SCCM 2012 R2 installed in my network and i am only using it to deploy software updates. and we have VPCC System(VMs), (Thin Client solution) for our network users, i configured disk space for each VM 50 GB for system and 30 GB for data, overall 80 GB assigned for each VM.

Q: problem is over the period of 5 month all Virtual Machines C: drive (system Partition) run out of space, VMs installed with few application like Office & adobe reader so i checked some VMs, i notice these three folder consume a lot space (CCMcache 9GB, Installer 13GB, Winsxs 13GB) under windows folder which grows to 44GB. now.. and these folder keep growing as it receiving the updates from SCCM. why these folders keep growing and what configuration required in SCCM so the client machine system partition dont run out of space.

any help on this issue would be highly appreciated

the CCMCache folder is where all files are stored when they download from within SCCM. You can simply just create some task sequence that clears the cache on the machines. I'm not sure what the installer folder is for specifically but the WinSXS folder stores data on your hardware on the machine etc so you don't want to do anything with that one.

My recommendation would be to just clear out the ccmcache folder to start with. Also if you do one-drive at all it stores 2 copies of everything it sync's so it can quickly fill up a drive as well.

Thank you for your guide. Thanks to your guide I have made great progress. Everything seems to be working properly but can you help me understand a potential problem I am seeing?

I have configured the SUP Products to Sync for Windows 7, performed a sync successfully followed the steps through deploying the deployment package (my Windows 7 update group currently has 457 items). Once a test client has all of the updates installed, I had the machine sync with MS update site and it found 61 additional important updates and more 11 that are optional.

I have taken searched under All Software Updates, and the updates are not in the catalog. I’ve looked up several on the MS Support website and some are old but others are more recent. The ones I checked are also not in the WSUS catalog. I would like to think they are superseded but I can’t find anything to that effect. But, if that is the case why does the client still want to download them?

I need to have confidence that the clients are getting all of the updates that they need.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Here are a few of the updates that are not being found after I run the Synchronize Software Updates and are therefore not pushed to the clients.

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2719857

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2726535

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2729094

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2732059

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2732487

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2750841

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2761217

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2763523

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2773072

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2791765

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2800095

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2808679

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2820331

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2843630

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2852386

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2853952

Update for Windows7 for x64-based Systems KB2882822

UPDATE - I have plugged each of these Updates into the WSUS Update Catalog and per the Package Details, none of them have been replaced by newer updates or request user input . I have also searched my wsyncmgr.log and none of them are found in the log file (which does list many updates that were skipped because they were superseded). So why are these not identified as updates my server should download?