anyweb

using SCCM 2012 in a LAB - Part 7. Build and Capture Windows 7 X64

are you sure the updates are on your distribution points ? how many updates are deployed to your build and capture windows 7 X64 collection ?

There are 93 updates in my Windows 7 Updates Software Update Group, but not all are deployed. Around 70 are deployed.

And yes, they are deployed to my Build and Capture Windows 7 x64 collection.

Any suggestions?

For anyone else having the Failed to Run Task Sequence with 0x80004005 where you are using the NAT Virtual Network in VMware Workstation - make sure in the Virtual Network Editor you configure the DNS server to that of your Active Directory DC / DNS server so it can resolve you internal domain name (i.e. testlab.local) when trying to find your SCCM server distribution point by FQDN (i.e. sccm.testlab.local).

This was driving me nuts for ages since I followed the guide correctly. It was only when investigating smsts.log I noticed the DNS issue also like others have mentioned.

Thank you!

Editing the NAT "DNS Settings" in Virtual Network Editor and adding the IP of my AD server worked great for me!

Finally managed to crack it. Posting here for others with the same issue. Basically, further down in your guide, you've got:

if you get any errors about packages not being found then enable the following setting in Data Access for all packages in your task sequence including the boot image:- copy the contents in this package to a package share on distribution points

post-1-0-94235500-1320659351.png

Note: once you have enabled the setting above your Deployment distribution settings gets a new drop down menu choice, access content directly from a distribution point when needed by the running task sequence

post-1-0-75319600-1320674392.png

and then try again.. our client is being built

I did this and hey presto, it worked, woo hoo!!

You may want to move this bit further up in your guide, as people like me who experience these errors, will not read further on and see the above until they've got the issue sorted.

Thanks

Alright, so I'm having the same issue that walsallf was having, but when I try to do this fix, SCCM will not allow me to choose "Access content directly from a distribution point when needed by the running task sequence". The option is there, but when I choose it and apply the change, it just reverts back to "Download content locally when needed by running task sequence". I was hoping that this would fix the \\boot\bcd issue I am having, but since I can't seem to change the option, I can't try it out. Anyone have any suggestions?

Edit: We solved this by removing the PXE service point option in Distribution point settings and then re-adding it. We had done this before, and it hadn't worked, but it worked this time. Building/capturing as we speak...

Thanks for setting up the guides. They have been a big help. I'm having an issue trying to multicast an OS install with a deploy and capture task sequence. It keeps failing at the multicast. I have reset WDS and reset the distribute via win pe on the distribution point and the image but I still get a 0x8004005 error.

post-16184-0-77865000-1337801072_thumb.png

smsts1.log