anyweb

using SCCM 2012 in a LAB - Part 7. Build and Capture Windows 7 X64

I have an interesting issue. After I import the computer to do the Build and Capture, it does not show up in Build and Capture device group. It does show up under All System. I try to add it to the Build and Capture but never shows up. I have a laptop I also want to test with and it does not show up there either after trying to add it.. I figured I allow the system to run overnight to see if it changes but doesn't. I created three device groups to separate out Win7 machines, 2008 r2 servers and 2008 servers using a query. They took an overnight something to occur before they showed up in the device group even after countless Update Memberships and Refreshes.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Hi Need help please. I got almost everything working and was able to capture but when I try to add an application on the task sequence, It always fails. It give me (0x80004005) error. Logs shows " Failed to run the action: install application. When I remove the install applications step, task sequence successfully finishes and captures the image. I need to install applications and capture. All apps are showing in the DP content as ok. Help please. thanks a bunch.

I can get to the PXE image options but it fails to install because it says the following:

This task sequence cannot be run because the program files for CLA00008 cannot be lcoated on a distribution point. For more information, contact your sys admin or helpdesk operator.

Not sure why I am getting this error sicne I did distribute to the DP. Any suggestions?

I have a couple questions. You say to start the WDS service in troubleshooting but I can't do so. I am running SCCM 2012 CTP2 and Server 2012 RC. I have confirmed that WDS works and can download boot images so PXE can work stand alone with WDS, naturally it hijacks the image so the task sequence never kicks off. Am I missing something to get SCCM to work? DO I configure WDS from the yellow bang or ignore it? If so AD DS or stand alone? I feel like I am close thanks to your write-up. I am missing something no doubt. PXE never connects to DHCP in my current state which is removing the Role and readding it via the PXE distribution Point. I am using a legacy adapter and setup the bios to boot into PXE automatically via the legacy adapter in the boot order. Is that part of the issues? Seems OK with WDS alone.

I have been loosely following your guide and my boot images "Image ID" is referenced CAS0000x and CAS000x (where x is the incremental number) where yours was referencing P01000x. Is this OK?

When I PXE boot I get "failed to run task sequence" because the boot image could not be found on the DP. I have made all the recommended settings per your guide as shown in the images. I did notice that "Update Distribution Points" was grayed out for the boot images as shown in the first image. I realized I had to do that from the CAS (difference from your pictures). I went ahead and updated the boot images from the CAS successfully but still failed to run task sequence because the boot image was not found on the DP. I actually added all four packages (two boot images, client and OS files) from the build and capture to the DP on P01 and they are in D:\SMSPKGD$. I somehow think this is related to the fact that your boot images are on P01 and mine are on the CAS. Either I did something wrong or the screen captures in your post are wrong.

post-4029-0-07161700-1342552171_thumb.png

post-4029-0-10924200-1342552172_thumb.png

post-4029-0-22261800-1342552173_thumb.png

post-4029-0-77312000-1342552773_thumb.png

post-4029-0-69857500-1342552775_thumb.jpg

post-4029-0-22524900-1342553284_thumb.png

Thanks,

Mike

I found the issue. I had given a few test machines static ip addresses to initially test installing the client. I added those IP addresses to a boundary and assigned the boundry to a boundary group. I have 2007 running along side so I have to be careful. I moved on to OSD and when I PXE booted the machine obviously got a new DHCP address (not the one I had assigned in the OS) which made it fall outside the boundary group. To resolve the issue I created a reservation in DHCP for the machines and added the addresses to a new boundary and added the boundary to a boundary group. The next time I PXE booted the task sequence worked like a charm.

The static IPs were a bad idea...use reservations while testing ConfigMgr 2012 along side 2007!

Mike

So I finally got the PXE to boot and install the image with updates. However it failed to Capture the image.

I created a VM PC for this which the install for the OS and updates took 2 days for some reason, think its my VM because when it loads to windows it takes it sweet time to respond to my commands.

However now I am wondering how do I find out why or how the capture process failed?

How can I get a capture of this image instead of doing the whole build and capture process over again?

FYI: This is my first time using SCCM and I greatly appreciate this website because it has helped me greatly from a NOOB perspective. Thanks!!

However now I am wondering how do I find out why or how the capture process failed?

the smsts.log file will reveal why it failed to capture your image, look in c:\windows\ccm\logs\

you can post it here if you wish

Just so anyone getting the \boot\bcd error knows, this error can happen if you're working with real physical devices which at some point in their lifespan were Ghosted (or imaged using some similar imaging method) and as a result have the same GUID as other devices in the SCCM All Systems collection.

A way around the issue is to power off a machine(s) having the problem(i.e. the machines with identical GUIDs), (make note of its GUID & MAC address before you do), delete the machine(s) from SCCM's All Systems collection, then manually re-add each device (which is why I suggest knowing its MAC address).

And specifically if you're getting this error following anyweb's tutorial here on Build and Capture, you'll want to assign the device back to the build and capture collection once you done the aforementioned delete/manual re-add.

Credit goes to http://adventuresinosd.blogspot.com/2011_03_01_archive.html (scroll down on that page)