white43210

Injecting drivers for boot image ...

Question

SCCM 2007 SP2 R3, SQL Server 2008 x64, Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

I am having difficulty with a bare metal install and capture of Win7 on a laptop. I have followed all guides closely and verified correct version of MDT, AIK, WINPE, but I simply cannot inject drivers into my boot image. I keep getting the following message from the wizard.

Error: Boot image to update:

MDT Custom PE

Error: Actions to perform:

Add ConfigMgr binaries

Enable Windows PE command line support

Add drivers

Error: Failed to import the following drivers:

Intel® 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection - Failed to inject a ConfigMgr driver into the mounted WIM file

Error: The wizard detected the following problems when updating the boot image.

Failed to inject a ConfigMgr driver into the mounted WIM file

The ConfigMgr Provider reported an error.: ConfigMgr Error Object:

instance of SMS_ExtendedStatus

{

Description = "Failed to insert OSD binaries into the WIM file";

ErrorCode = 2152205056;

File = "c:\\qfe\\nts_sms_fre\\sms\\siteserver\\sdk_provider\\smsprov\\sspbootimagepackage.cpp";

Line = 4262;

ObjectInfo = "CSspBootImagePackage::PreRefreshPkgSrcHook";

Operation = "ExecMethod";

ParameterInfo = "SMS_BootImagePackage.PackageID=\"BWW00015\"";

ProviderName = "WinMgmt";

StatusCode = 2147749889;

};

I've noted several other posts where user advise using DSIM. Is this a requirement? I like the ability to utilize the driver repository / see the injected drivers in the SCCM console.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Thanks for your response Lucid. I originally was running an earlier version of AIK. It didn't work at that point and after reading posts regarding WAIK I installed the latest and greatest version ... so essentially I have reinstalled - copied new files over old and used WBEM to update WinPE versions.

I have tried this on 4-5 custom boot images with 4 different intel drivers ... 32 bit and 64 bit. A version from Panasonic and a version directly from Intel. I'm really only trying to install one driver at a time instead of a whole list of drivers.

I have tried giving extended permissions to the target image folder ... I'm suspicious of the image staging folder however. Isn't that going to be the Windows/Temp folder where it actually mounts the image to add the drivers? I'm guessing SYSTEM should have full control on this folder?

Thanks!

So I figured this out. It was nothing with my configuration, but rather when I imported the drivers from the Intel package I neglected to import some of the required files that were named differently than my primary NIC .inf.

This link helped me resolve the issue.

When a driver has been downloaded, and if necessary, extracted to obtain the INF, SYS, CAT, and other related driver files, all files and subdirectories in the same directory as the INF file for the driver should be copied over to the Driver Source location. Usually only the INF, SYS, and CAT files are necessary, but this is not always the case. To ensure that the driver can be properly added and injected into a WinPE Boot Image, make sure that all files and subdirectories in the same location as the INF file are copied over to the Driver Source location.

Hi,

had a same issue, and it was purely to a specific driver. On of possible solutions is to import driver one by one, and see which one is causing the problem. It is a long process but still it helps.