anyweb

How can I import computers into SCCM 2012 using a file ?

if you want to import multiple computers in SCCM 2012 using a file then it's easy to do so, just make sure that your file is in CSV format and looks like so

name smsbios guide mac address.png

In the sample screenshot above I have three machines listed with the Computername first (name), followed by the SMSBIOS Guid and finally the MAC Address. You can get the SMSBIOS Guid and MAC Address simply booting your chosen computer and monitoring the PXE boot process look for the details below (press PAUSE on your keyboard to make note of the values or simply pause the VM by pressing the appropriate button as in the HyperV sample below). You could also ask your Hardware Manufacturer to provide you this information in CSV format.

pause VM.png

Now that you have the values add them to your MAC Addresses.CSV file (a text file in notepad or Microsoft Excel) open the ConfigMgr Console and click on Assets and Compliance, click on Devices, in the ribbon above select Import Computer Information

import computer information in ribbon.png

select the first option, Import computers using a file

import computers using a file.png

point to your CSV file by clicking on browse, open

browse open.png

if your CSV file has headings at the top of the file then place a check mark in This file has column headings and then click next

this file has column headings.png

look at the data preview, if anything looks incorrect you can go back or cancel, click next if it's all ok

Note: you can have GUID plus Name, or MAC plus Name, or a combination of all three but you must have at least two and one of the values must be Name.

data preview.png

next you can select the target collection, I want to add mine to the Build and Capture Windows 7 X64 collection so I click on Browse and select that collection, choose the one you wish

add computers to the following collection.png

click next through to completion

mac import complete.png

you can then wait for normal discovery to pick up the new objects or force an update by choosing update membership on the chosen collection, answer yes whem prompted

update membership.png

refresh the collection and the computers appear (if you've just imported them, give it a couple of minutes before they appear)

refresh collection.png

• Like 1

computername and mac is fine,

you can have GUID plus ComputerName

or MAC plus ComputerName

or a combination of all three

Hello? Anyone?

Did you try to only use a computer name and see what System Center does ?

Anyway, I tested it and yes it is possible, only provide the names in it like this:

Name
<NAME1>
<NAME2>

Make sure you have This file has column headings turned on.

Did you try to only use a computer name and see what System Center does ?

Anyway, I tested it and yes it is possible, only provide the names in it like this:

Name
<NAME1>
<NAME2>

Make sure you have This file has column headings turned on.

Very odd. I keep getting an error pop up saying "Specify MAC address or SMBIOS value of the imported machines"

No way to get past this message either.

Any ideas?